Upgrade from i-2600k to i-4790k? Worth it?

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hi all,

Just wondering how much improvement I will get upgrading from i-2600k (oc'ed on air @ 4.4) to an I-4790k overclocked comparably. Rest of the system is in the sig below. As a side note I will be adding an SSD for OS and raiding a storage drive. Will also be using an msi Z87-g45 mobo.

Solution
Nope, 4.4Ghz is fast enough for ANY modern day job you want to do with 4790k, unless you OC Haswell to extreme levels, and more importantly, run apps which can be benefitted alot by that difference in OC, it's a waste of money. For gaming, even if you get 4.8Ghz on 4790k, there'd be virtually no difference.
Nope, 4.4Ghz is fast enough for ANY modern day job you want to do with 4790k, unless you OC Haswell to extreme levels, and more importantly, run apps which can be benefitted alot by that difference in OC, it's a waste of money. For gaming, even if you get 4.8Ghz on 4790k, there'd be virtually no difference.

Solution

That's true, I forgot he was overclocking. But I still disagree that sandy bridge and haswell i7s are still nearly as fast as each other.