Question Upgrade from i6700K worth it for music production and gaming

debontehond

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
It seems my motherboard may have died and I am researching possible new upgrade paths. I have read great things about the new AMD's and I am considering those. My current hardware was sufficient for my needs so I will only consider upgrading if it's not too costly (max 300 euros for motherboard and CPU combined) and brings significantly more power or futureprooofing.

I do some light gaming and mainly play the Division 2 and some indie games. For music production I use Ableton Live, Native Instruments Komplete 12 and Maschine. Nothing too fancy.

Key specs:
Win 10
Intel Core i7-6700K Boxed
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
MSI Radeon RX 470 GAMING X 4G

The benchmark of my i6700K is still quite good. The first AMD that has signficicant better performance benchmarks is the 3700X but thats pricey. I know benchmarks don't tell us everything but based on this I don't see any need to upgrade now. Any suggestions?

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/3502vs3958

Just my opinion, but initial thought was it would really only be worthwhile upgrade if going to at least the Ryzen 7 3000 CPUs. As you've noticed it's not friendly for the budget you have in mind.

Getting approximate same performance... a difficult proposition, though an i5-8400 or newer equivalents do come to mind.

Future proofing for either seems like a difficult one to predict. I personally suspect the Ryzen 3000 series is the last we'll see on the current AM4 socket and the current chipsets. (Looking at the change in Threadripper.) Then Intel tends to change quite frequently too.

Starcruiser

Honorable
Going up to the Ryzen 7 3700x would yield about 15% better overall performance, but much higher gains when you look at video editing and other thread intense tasks that are not gaming due to it having double the cores and threads.
It's up to you to decide ultimately whether that amount of gain is worth the money, because that CPU is not cheap.

My personal decision, were I in your position, would be to stay where I am until more significant gains are available. I'm only now upgrading my old FX 8300 to the Ryzen 2700, which is about a 68% gain.