Build Advice Upgrade from i7-5th gen to i7-13th gen ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

naguib nader

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
i m thinking of upgrading my current i7-5th rig to 13th as its nearly 9 years now
i m trying to figure out whether its worth it or not to do so

my current rig
Intel Core i7-5820
Asus x99-a
2*8 ddr4
RTX2080
Seasonic 850w Bronze

i m only aiming at upgrading MB-CPU-RAM
ASUS PRIME Z790 P WIFI DDR5
INTEL CORE I7 13700KF
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 4800MHZ

will my old PSU be enough for the new build or i will have to change it as well
thnx in advance any advice will be much appreciated

naguib nader

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
I assume you mean i5-13600.

What you can also do is go into the bios and cap the power the 13700 chip is allowed to use. From the benchmarks I have seen you can set the power limit lower and still get very good clock rates on these chips. Not sure I myself just started to really look at this after getting sucked into building a new pc for a friend.
It seems for things like gaming you can get very high single core clock rates and not excessive power consumption.

For a pc upgrade for myself I am waiting till january to see where the new 3xd chips from amd are cost/performance wise.
according to specification provided by intel i5 is less demanding power than the i7 so i might go for it to be more safer with my old PSU

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i m not decieded yet which GPU i ll go for it

Rtx 2080 is still more than decent enough to be used as place holder while you save for something else. Im hoping this wasn't part of your initial budget dismissing a new psu. If you can afford a new psu now instead of a new gpu then you should do that regardless if you use an i5 or i7. But if you can afford i7 as well then that would be recommended for longevity since you appear to hang on to your build for length of time. Do the job right at the beginning and prepare for the future i think.

Importance of power supplies shouldn't be ignored. Doesn't matter if you can't see it or has similar price tag to a cpu or motherboard, psus should be treated with more respect than it's usually given.

naguib nader

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
Rtx 2080 is still more than decent enough to be used as place holder while you save for something else. Im hoping this wasn't part of your initial budget dismissing a new psu. If you can afford a new psu now instead of a new gpu then you should do that regardless if you use an i5 or i7. But if you can afford i7 as well then that would be recommended for longevity since you appear to hang on to your build for length of time. Do the job right at the beginning and prepare for the future i think.

Importance of power supplies shouldn't be ignored. Doesn't matter if you can't see it or has similar price tag to a cpu or motherboard, psus should be treated with more respect than it's usually given.

thats why when i were building my rig 9 years ago i went for 850 watt PSU which its last till this moment & was cost a fortune & 1000 watt was not a common back then & i changed 3 GPU & still working very smoothly
but considering current circumstances my budget are limited to MB-CPU-RAM as a temp solution i will stick with my old PSU till i will be able to change it
i know i should change it ASAP but i m pretty sure it will manage the new partially rig :)

Gaming is still mostly GPU limited. To see cpu difference that affect frame rate they test at lower resolution. Too a point it makes sense because why do the benchmarks if you don't see any difference.
But since people who buy high end cards and monitors tend to actually want to use them at the higher resolution they paid for it is questionable who these benchmarks are target to.
There are a bunch of turn based games that are highly cpu bound but they never seem to test those only thing that can show FPS.

TRENDING THREADS