[SOLVED] Upgrade from my existing or add another? Can't decide.

Sep 17, 2019
I recently upgraded my pc so for the last couple of days I've been going through each of the video games I play and adjusting their settings higher. Now I'm stuck on what to do about my graphics. It's showing it's age and it can't really handle everything I'm throwing at it.

My current build:
Mobo:
MSI Z370 Gaming M5
CPU: Intel i9 9900KF (Overclocked to 5Ghz w/ liquid cooler)
RAM: 24GB of DDR4 - 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport & 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition
Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570x

Some things to consider:
  • I'm not spending over $850 on a graphics card.
  • The case has plenty of room for any size card
  • I've got plenty of PCIe slots
  • AMD is not an option.
  • I frequently stream my games to my iPad, iPhone, and MacBook Pro using an app called Moonlight.
  • I play primarily play on the highest settings the card can handle with a consistent frame rate. I use the Logitech Gaming Software and the Arx app to check the graphics card usage.
  • I play on a 4k tv and I'd like to hit a stable 60FPS or higher so I don't have to rely on V-Sync to keep it looking smooth.
So should I upgrade or just get a second 1080? If I upgrade what model/brand do I go with? Is there a particular RTX 2080 that's better than the others?

Ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
In your specs you have not included your PSU.
SLI 1080 will require much more power than a single 2080. Also it does not scale properly and some games may not even support it.
Also, a 2080 ti does not guarantee 4k 60fps with ultra in all games, especially in AAA games.
I would suggest to go for a 2080 super if your budget permits it and maybe high or very high settings for 4k 60fps.
SLI 1080 will require much more power than a single 2080. Also it does not scale properly and some games may not even support it.
Also, a 2080 ti does not guarantee 4k 60fps with ultra in all games, especially in AAA games.
I would suggest to go for a 2080 super if your budget permits it and maybe high or very high settings for 4k 60fps.

Solution
Sep 17, 2019

It’s a 1000w. So I’ve got plenty of headroom.

I would upgrade to a better single card for the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, you can handle both gpus with your PSU but are you ok with having to troubleshoot many problems that the SLI will bring AND the poor to non existent support of SLI in games?