Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Current spec
msi B450 A pro max motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600
Rtx 2070 8gb
32gb ram
550w psu

I’m looking at upgrading my cpu next year to a Ryzen 7 3700x. Would this be a simple swap? Thanks

Solution
Current spec

I’m looking at upgrading my cpu next year to a Ryzen 7 3700x. Would this be a simple swap? Thanks
That's one of MSI's MAX motherboards so it is Ryzen 3000 ready right now.

The most likely issues with hardware can be avoided by first resetting CMOS before putting in the new CPU and then resetting CMOS again after putting it in, just to be sure. There may be an issue with the OS too; Windows 10 sometimes doesn't recognize the new cores and you may have to change some settings to fully utilize them. In worse case a fresh install might be necessary but hopefully not. Just do a backup before the swap in case it doesn't behave right after.

I'd still update BIOS to get full benefit...
Current spec

The most likely issues with hardware can be avoided by first resetting CMOS before putting in the new CPU and then resetting CMOS again after putting it in, just to be sure. There may be an issue with the OS too; Windows 10 sometimes doesn't recognize the new cores and you may have to change some settings to fully utilize them. In worse case a fresh install might be necessary but hopefully not. Just do a backup before the swap in case it doesn't behave right after.

I'd still update BIOS to get full benefit of a 3700X CPU if you haven't, though. But if everything's going great with your 2600 right now (and you haven't yet) I'd suggest waiting until you've actually got the upgrade to do that. You should even be able to do it after installing the 3700X.

MSI's MAX boards are a pretty sure thing to get the beta BIOS' for Ryzen 5000 in January. That's not such a bad thing considering what's happened with recent product releases...not just the Nvidia's 3000 release but also the Zen2 release last July. It will probably be that much time (from the early November release) for them to be readily available on the shelves and/or without paying above-list (scalper?) prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richkc and sizzling
Solution

Richkc

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015

I'd still update BIOS to get full benefit of a 3700X CPU if you haven't, though. But if everything's going great with your 2600 right now (and you haven't yet) I'd suggest waiting until you've actually got the upgrade to do that. You should even be able to do it after installing the 3700X.

MSI's MAX boards are a pretty sure thing to get the beta BIOS' for Ryzen 5000 in January. That's not such a bad thing considering what's happened with recent product releases...not just the Nvidia's 3000 release but also the Zen2 release last July. It will probably be that much time (from the early November release) for them to be readily available on the shelves and/or without paying above-list (scalper?) prices.

Where do I find the latest Bios updates? Thanks

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Current spec
Ryzen 5 2600
Rtx 2070 8gb
32gb ram
550w psu

I would not do it my friend your sorta blowing cash. The 2700x was a supreme CPU and still is compared to the 9900k its competition. You wouln't notice a difference if I did not tell you what CPU is in what and what your using. The 2600x can be safely OCed a tiny bit or enabling D.O.C.P and you have a great CPU. Not a very good time to do a pointless upgrade IMHO during covid-19 times. Just enjoy what you have. I used to have a 4930k HEDT and it was more then enough alto the 2600x blows it out of the water. I have my 2080 and games were 120 to 200fps with no complaints using g-sync on top of that even drops to 90fps and still smooth and no difference. Just be more concerend with RAM as 16GB is not even enough at this point since you want a larger RAM cache to store stuff and open stuff fast the second time around. Also a SSD which is 60 bucks for 500GB. Do upgrades like what I suggested and do not worry about getting a 5800x and giving yourself a headache for no reason. If you had a older processor then I would say do the upgrade but what you have is fine and a great bang for your buck and you have a great video card already. Concentrate on the things I said like RAM and SSD or cool components for your rig. Good Luck 👶✝🎗💯

TRENDING THREADS