Upgrade from Vista to Window 8

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I got a question regarding upgrading my Vista to Window 8. My Vista is not OEM...it's a full Pro version I got for Christmas awhile back. I recently just purchased a new SSD and would like to do a fresh install of Window 8 on it using the upgrade. How do I go about doing that? Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Thanks Brett...so I reinstall the Vista on the new SSD than upgrade?

Do I need to do any deactivation before installing it on the new drive?

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Same machine...but I'm replacing the hard drive with a new SSD. I pretty much want a fresh install to Window 8 using upgrade from Vista.

chugot9218

Honorable
The upgrade installs only work on already present copies of the OS, so yes, you will have to install vista on the SD and then run the upgrade. Even if your copy was OEM, it is tied to the MOBO, so it will let you re-install it on an infinite number of HDD's, as long as they are hooked to that MOBO!

And you don't have to deactivate the copy, it will realize it has already been activated elsewhere when you reinstall, and likely will prompt you with a number or something to call at Microsoft to get your copy "switched" (I dunno if they provide you a new key or what, I haven't had to do this). I think you get 30 days with full features anyways to do this process.

zdbc13

Distinguished
If 8 is anything like 7 you won't have to install Vista first. just make sure you have the Vista DVD handy and when 8 asks you for compatible media put it in the DVD drive. It will check to see if it's valid and then tell you to take it out and put the 8 DVD back in. I hope that's right...
Good luck!

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Ok thanks for the suggestions...but I'm getting 2 different answers. I guess I will try to install Window 8 without installing Vista first since that is a shorter route. If it doesn't work than I guess I have to install Vista first.

Thanks everyone!

mark_666

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Because Microsoft has lots of variations of 'a licence' and now has changed its EULA again in windows8 this would need degree in law to actually explain or understand as to what your rights are (if any) with any install or upgrade scenario