Upgrade From Windows 8 To 8.1 Fail And Windows Fills 100 GB Of Hidden Files

korkotyan

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Hello, I build my computer and installed windows 8, I then installed drivers and afterwards windows updates.
The windows installation went fine, but While the windows updates, the system restarted itself 3 times because of some system problems, and some of the updates didn't want to be updated.
But finely after about 8 restart all the updates were updated.
Then I tried to upgrade to windows 8.1 (tried it in the middle of the last problematic updates), and in the middle of the installation it had a problem but it continued, finished the installation and restarted. When it booted not only did it not upgrade to 8.1, but it filled my SSD with about 30 GB of nothing (does not show the files), I tried to install it again, same happened but now it filled with more then 100 GB of nothing.

I found this solution (http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/20996-hard-drive-randomly-filling-up.html), but I don't know if it is safe, and if you have a better solution please submit you'r answer.

Thanks for any help.

G

There used to be a way, a long time ago, where you could download the full Windows 8.1 ISO (read: Disc Image) and install it, from Microsoft that was legitimately from them. Sadly I think they patched that method because it became a problem and people would abuse it. Honestly if you are the kind of joe that has a day job and make a OK wage, the easiest and best way would be to buy a copy of Windows 8.1 OEM. Normally Core runs about $90 and Pro runs $120. You could try to monkey with it, but if I remember right a lot of things changed from 8 to 8.1 and even your legitimate Windows 8 key won't work on a 8.1 install. So you can fuss with it and spend a lot of time chasing problems, or spend some cash and do a fresh install that will work. Your choice. I'm just throwing out options.

korkotyan

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the help. I don't think to buy windows 8.1 for another 90$ is an option. Regarding to the solution I submitted, is it safe? And maybe if I format the SSD and install windows again it will help?