[SOLVED] Upgrade GPU \ 4K

Falcon6

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I am looking to upgrade my GPU to accommodate either a 4K monitor or at the very least something better than 1080p (better resolution), my current specs are below, budget would be around $300.00 MAX, $200.00 would be better, this is strictly for gaming really.

Mobo: Z170A SLI Plus

CPU: i7-6700K 4.00GHz

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2133MHz DDR4

GPU: Radeon RX 580 8GB

Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W

Solution
My suggestion is to buy your monitor first.
You will then be in a better position to know what you need/want for a graphics card.

Consider the monitor purchase carefully.
A monitor is a long term purchase.
Bust your budget if you need to for the best you can afford.

Larger size is more immersive for gaming.
You will need to pick between a fast tn panel for fast action gaming or a ips panel with 178/178 viewing angle for better image quality.

Plan on keeping your old monitor attached as a side monitor. A static image for email or monitors will not impact your gaming.

Remember, you can always lower your resolution and settings if you need to for gaming on your RX580.

RX580 is a very competent card.
An upgrade should be significant...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am looking to upgrade my GPU to accommodate either a 4K monitor or at the very least something better than 1080p (better resolution), my current specs are below, budget would be around $300.00 MAX, $200.00 would be better, this is strictly for gaming really.

Mobo: Z170A SLI Plus

CPU: i7-6700K 4.00GHz

Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2133MHz DDR4

GPU: Radeon RX 580 8GB

Power Supply: EVGA 600 B1, 80+ BRONZE 600W

What monitor do you have currently? It sounds like you're looking to upgrade your monitor to a higher resolution, then get a video card to match.

If my assumption is correct, then I have to ask: why do you feel the need to move up to a higher resolution?

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
If you're not a 4k enthusiast or have a lot of money lying around, sticking to 1080p is fine. 4k won't improve your experience as much as it will increase the expense. And 4k desktop monitors are 27inches usually(21inches 1080p is enough for almost anyone).

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Currently own BenQ GL2760H, and I would buy the GPU first and then purchase a fitting monitor.

I would advise doing them together. Decide what, exactly, that you want, and why. Then look up costs. Also, if there's a brick-and-mortar store somewhere within a reasonable distance, that keeps numerous monitors on display, go there and look at them. You won't be able to game on them, but you'll be able to get a feel for how they look, display quality, etc.

I'm not sure you necessarily need to go higher than 1080p.

If you're not a 4k enthusiast or have a lot of money lying around, sticking to 1080p is fine. 4k won't improve your experience as much as it will increase the expense. And 4k desktop monitors are 27inches usually(21inches 1080p is enough for almost anyone).

Dead wrong. 21 inches is, in my opinion, too small in general. I was using a 27-inch 1920x1080, which looked good. My son had a 24-inch 1920x1080 which was smaller, but looked better not because of the higher pixel density, but because the colors and crispness of that monitor were better.

He currently uses a 34-inch 2560x1080, which looks very nice. The naysayers will say the pixels are too big for that resolution, but, while my eyesight isn't what it should be, his eyesight is very sharp, and we both agree that it looks great.

Everyone's eyes will be different in terms of what they like, or don't like. But "21inches 1080p is enough for almost anyone" is way too big of a blanket statement, and not even close to accurate.

The RX 580 handles 2560x1080P/75hz pretty well. If your games support 21:9 then maybe it's something to consider.

At least at 60Hz, it does. My son's got that card/resolution setup, and there are a couple of games that seem to struggle or be unable to hit 60 fps - he is using an i5-6400, though, so that may be the limiting factor. The only one I can remember the name of off the top of my head is 7 Days To Die, but, we observed that lowering the graphics settings doesn't improve the frame rate, which makes me wonder if it's a CPU issue on that particular title. Can't remember the others, maybe Rainbow 6 Siege is the other that can't hit 60 at that resolution (not sure how high he has the settings on that one).

Generally, I'd say for 2560x1080, I'd recommend a step higher - in the RX 590/GTX 1660/GTX 1660Ti area.

Last edited:

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
I
I would advise doing them together. Decide what, exactly, that you want, and why. Then look up costs. Also, if there's a brick-and-mortar store somewhere within a reasonable distance, that keeps numerous monitors on display, go there and look at them. You won't be able to game on them, but you'll be able to get a feel for how they look, display quality, etc.

I'm not sure you necessarily need to go higher than 1080p.

Dead wrong. 21 inches is, in my opinion, too small in general. I was using a 27-inch 1920x1080, which looked good. My son had a 24-inch 1920x1080 which was smaller, but looked better not because of the higher pixel density, but because the colors and crispness of that monitor were better.

He currently uses a 34-inch 2560x1080, which looks very nice. The naysayers will say the pixels are too big for that resolution, but, while my eyesight isn't what it should be, his eyesight is very sharp, and we both agree that it looks great.

Everyone's eyes will be different in terms of what they like, or don't like. But "21inches 1080p is enough for almost anyone" is way too big of a blanket statement, and not even close to accurate.

At least at 60Hz, it does. My son's got that card/resolution setup, and there are a couple of games that seem to struggle or be unable to hit 60 fps - he is using an i5-6400, though, so that may be the limiting factor. The only one I can remember the name of off the top of my head is 7 Days To Die, but, we observed that lowering the graphics settings doesn't improve the frame rate, which makes me wonder if it's a CPU issue on that particular title. Can't remember the others, maybe Rainbow 6 Siege is the other that can't hit 60 at that resolution (not sure how high he has the settings on that one).

Generally, I'd say for 2560x1080, I'd recommend a step higher - in the RX 590/GTX 1660/GTX 1660Ti area.
I was talking according to his budget. With his present budget of 300$ max, he can't get 60fps on 4k ultra. So, unless he just wants to reach 4k resolution, there's no point in getting a 4k display with a under 300$ graphics card. And of course a 30inch+ monitor with 4k resolution is an uncomparable experience. But his current budget isn't enough for a good 4k performance.

And I also agree that he should get something like a 1660ti or at least something similar to the RX 590

Falcon6

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
I am completely OK with a 2K monitor that my current card can handle, have any recommendations? I have decided to shelf the 4K idea for now but I would like to upgrade my resolution\gaming experience.

My suggestion is to buy your monitor first.
You will then be in a better position to know what you need/want for a graphics card.

Consider the monitor purchase carefully.
A monitor is a long term purchase.
Bust your budget if you need to for the best you can afford.

Larger size is more immersive for gaming.
You will need to pick between a fast tn panel for fast action gaming or a ips panel with 178/178 viewing angle for better image quality.

Plan on keeping your old monitor attached as a side monitor. A static image for email or monitors will not impact your gaming.

Remember, you can always lower your resolution and settings if you need to for gaming on your RX580.

RX580 is a very competent card.
An upgrade should be significant or you may be disappointed if you do not see good results.
I think GTX1660ti would be the minimum. Stronger if you play fast action games.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
I would do a freesync capable 1440p monitor, since you have an AMD card, right now, then upgrade your graphics to something like an RX 5700, when you can afford to. For what to get, that depends on how much you want to spend, on said monitor, and size you want. You might want to look at some monitors, in person. Watch some reviews, as well.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I am completely OK with a 2K monitor that my current card can handle, have any recommendations? I have decided to shelf the 4K idea for now but I would like to upgrade my resolution\gaming experience.
Unfortunately, no. The RX 580 is pretty good for 60 frames at 1920x1080, and can sort of handle, with a little struggling, 2560x1080.

But 2K (generally the shorthand for 2560x1440) is a bit much for an RX 580.

I suppose you need to step back and bit and see what your primary goal is. Are you looking for faster performance/frames-per-second, and if so, why? Are you looking for higher resolution, and if so, why?

Then, we determine what solution would be best based on the goal, which could involve a monitor, or a video card, or both.