Upgrade GPU or MB/CPU for Fallout 4

willabob

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
Need to upgrade my system to be able to run fallout 4 decently well (hopefully medium setting 30 fps min. )

Current system is:

Asus Ipibl-la Berkeley motherboard
core 2 quad Q6600 processor.
Nvidia Gtx 560
6 gigs ram
600 watt power supply
256 gig ssd
512 gig hard drive

While I plan to upgrade the MB, CPU, GPU and Ram eventually, right now my budget forces me to choose one of these two options:

1. upgrade the GPU to GTX 970, but keep the old Q6600
2. upgrade to Z97 MB, I5 and new RAM, but keep the old GTX560

Option 1 leaves me with a Q6600 which is a bit below minimum spec, but would the much better GPU make up for it. Isn’t the GPU more important than the CPU.

Option 2 meets minimum spec, but the GPU is just barely above the minimum so I would not think it would run well.

I would really prefer to do the GPU right now because its easier, significantly cheaper, and avoids any windows 10 reinstall license headaches/expenses that might come with a new motherboard.

Which option will give the best Fallout4 experience? It seems like the GPU upgrade might gain me more even though the CPU is below spec. Just not sure how well it will do with the q6600 or if it would even be playable, even with the gtx970. Thanks.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
tough call but i would get your GPU first. Sadly I don't think your motherboard allows overclocking nor does it have the kind of cooling you need for it because q6600 was well known for hitting 4ghz. which in the interim would help with CPU specs for games. Point is its better to have a weaker CPU then GPU for gaming. The q6600 while dated is a solid CPU with four cores (something many games require now a days). If you could a get a GTX 970 or even better the 980 non Ti I think you would be in decent shape until you can upgrade the rest.

Maybe WAIT until the game is out and benchmarked. System requirements aren't always very accurate.

Really, you likely need a completely new PC but it depends again on how it will run in REALITY. Perhaps 1366x768 would give 30FPS at LOW/MEDIUM but I don't think it will be that enjoyable.

Get a better GPU and you'll still have CPU bottlenecks limiting your minimum frame rate. Get a better CPU and you'll get the same thing and it's hard to say which will be worse.

It really depends on how well threaded the game code is and BETHESDA is known for needing a higher SINGLE THREAD performance. It's only a modified version of the previous Skyrim engine so I don't think there's going to be a huge difference in threaded optimization.

Even if threading is slightly better, I think some of the things in the game will use more of the CPU than before.

scuder

Reputable
Nov 11, 2015
I have been playing it on a q6600. It works if you don't mind slugging through it at 20 fps and less at bits. Don't get me wrong in some areas I can get as much as 50 or 60 fps (usually in doors) If you can overclock you cpu it will run a lot better, I overclocked my one to 2.8ghz and noticed a big difference.I might push it higher if I decide to try and get more out of it.

Also my gpu is a hd 6970 and it also falls below the specs but it still runs it. I think it depends how much of a fallout fan you are, if you love it and if you can put up with crappy frame rates at points you will still have fun. I think when the game is patched and when new drivers are available it will be less taxing to run. On top of that once the modding community gets in to it you will see all sorts of performance increasing mods.

This is the rig I am using and getting anywhere between 15-60 fps
On average it is probably around 30 but it really depends on where you are on the map

OH, and I am using an ssd as well and that is probably helping.

CPU-Q6600 @ 2.8ghz
MB-ASUS P5Q DELUXE
GPU- HD 6970
MEM- 8 GIG 800MHZ
SSD- EVO 850