Upgrade GPU or MOBO

daley

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm wondering if anybody can advise me on this:

I'm going to upgrade either my mobo or my gpu, should I wait until the Nvidia DX11 compatible card comes out? Or should I go for a full mobo change to be able to go with the I5 chipset and memory upgrade? Also my MOBO (penryn 1600sli) can only support ddr2 memory, if I go with a new 300gt will this have any effect on the DDR5 memory? And will I have a bottleneck in the system with the old DDR2 memory. I have about £350 to spend and use this computer for purely gaming.

Q6600
2 x 8800gt (alpha dog) PCI-E
4g ddr2 memory
650w PSU
Penryn1600sli-100db

TheViper

Distinguished
The graphics card memory (GDDR5 in this case) is separate from the motherboards supported memory (here: DDR2) so there will be no conflict in that matter. Consider that even the most modern MOBO supports just DDR3.

Everything you have is still quite decent.

What resolution is your monitor? That will help answer whether you should upgrade the GPU's or MOBO/memory.

daley

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks TheViper, I appreciate that! I'll probably wait for the DX11 Nvidia card to come out though

TheViper

Distinguished
Fair enough, just keep in mind that monetary allotment you have may not be enough. nVidia are known for having higher prices than ATi for relatively equal hardware. May not be the case this time but it's what we're all expecting again.