GTX 480
8GB DDR3
600W Rosewell PSU
Some Cheap Biostar Mobo

Proposed?:
FX 8350
16GB RAM
ASRock 990FX Extreme6

Leaves me with about $206, either to upgrade CPU, ram or mobo even more, or just scratch mobo, cpu upgrades and go straight for a new GPU. Not sure.

lodders

Admirable
7 years ago, AMD was a good option. I still have a couple of Phenom PCs
But since then AMD have failed badly, and a quad core AMD now struggles to match a 2 core intel

IMHO you should get Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

GrippingWar

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Hmm, I can upgrade my CPU extraordinarily, but my GPU, not quite possible until my next paycheck. I wish to get the best CPU I can get with my budget, and in a few days I wish to upgrade my GPU. Any suggestions?

lodders

Admirable

The way I see it is you have an old CPU and an old cheap mobo.
If you buy a newer AMD processor, this forces you to keep on using an obsolete biostar motherboard..... why would you want to do this?
A new motherboard will support USB3 and SATA 3, which works with the fantastic speed of an SSD. If you avoid skylake, you can re-use the memory from your old PC

Which leads to the next question - what to upgrade first.... Well, my sons gaming PC is a very overclocked AMD Phenom II x4, it needs replacing, but the CPU still just manages to keep up with the more modern GPU.

So if I were you, I would replace the GPU, and use it in you old rig while you saved up for a new motherboard, CPU and SSD