Question Upgrade i7-8700k?

WobblyMussel

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Hii, i am not sure wether i should upgrade my old i7-8700k.

This would be my setup for now:

CPU: i7-8700k --> has been cut with the Der8auer Delid-Die-Mate 2
MOBO: Gigabyte Z-390M (mATX)
GPU: RX 5700 MSI --> Planing to upgrade to a RX 6800 XT Sapphire Nitro+ OC
RAM: 4x 8GB at 3600 Mhz (XMP)
STORAGE: 2 TB SSD
CPU COOLER: Fractal Design Celsius S 24 Cooler ( 1x Fan Noctua 120mm)
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 (650W)
FANS: 1x 120mm Noctua + 2x 140mm Noctua

I mostly play open world games/simulators like Genshin Impact, Tarkov, War Thunder, Star Citizen etc.

I am open for any suggesstions , also not CPU related ones.

(EDIT: i play at 1440p)

Thanks y'all :)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
With a BIOS update you could upgrade to 9th gen, but not really sure how worthwhile that would be considering the pricing on 9th gen CPU right now. NOS is well beyond worth and used is, well..used.

IMO your best bet is to bide your time and keep watch on 12th gen parts to see if they come down in price. There are some nice sales coming and going on both 3xxx and 5xxx Ryzen. If you have a Micro Center nearby, they have a couple of decent bundles going on 5xxx right now.
I honestly feel like your system should be pretty well balanced and perform decently. I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade so much as opposed to watching and waiting for those good deals on the outgoing generation.

Reactions: WobblyMussel

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You'll want a bigger PSU, you are gaining 120W TDP (180W-> 300W)

CPU upgrade, you could get a 9900K. Anything else will mean changing the motherboard. You could keep the DDR4 for one last hurrah and get a 13600K/13700K with a Z690 DDR4 motherboard.

Probably want a bigger CPU cooler to handle any of those newer CPUs.

Since you are into doing Der8auer related things, get yourself a contact frame at the least. You could delid the new chips, but I'm not sure it is worth it aside from the fun.

WobblyMussel

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
With a BIOS update you could upgrade to 9th gen, but not really sure how worthwhile that would be considering the pricing on 9th gen CPU right now. NOS is well beyond worth and used is, well..used.

IMO your best bet is to bide your time and keep watch on 12th gen parts to see if they come down in price. There are some nice sales coming and going on both 3xxx and 5xxx Ryzen. If you have a Micro Center nearby, they have a couple of decent bundles going on 5xxx right now.
I honestly feel like your system should be pretty well balanced and perform decently. I wouldn't be in a rush to upgrade so much as opposed to watching and waiting for those good deals on the outgoing generation.
Heyy thanks for responding , i don't live in the US, so no microcenter here :(

I am gonna wait a lil bit and see how the prices act. :)

WobblyMussel

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
You'll want a bigger PSU, you are gaining 120W TDP (180W-> 300W)

CPU upgrade, you could get a 9900K. Anything else will mean changing the motherboard. You could keep the DDR4 for one last hurrah and get a 13600K/13700K with a Z690 DDR4 motherboard.

Probably want a bigger CPU cooler to handle any of those newer CPUs.

Since you are into doing Der8auer related things, get yourself a contact frame at the least. You could delid the new chips, but I'm not sure it is worth it aside from the fun.
Do you think the RX 6800XT will work with 650W ?
I also haven't overclocked my CPU at all, is still sitting at 3.7 GHz base clock. lol

i dont think the 9900k upgrade is worth it, because they are out of stock at the moment, what means that the 13600/700k would probably be a better choice anyways, right?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Heyy thanks for responding , i don't live in the US, so no microcenter here :(

I am gonna wait a lil bit and see how the prices act. :)

There is a lot to be said for the bleeding edge of newest PC hardware, there is no doubt about that. However, if you are willing to stay just behind that curve you can readily pay 1/2 price or less on some really powerful parts. It is a whole lot like the feeling of knowing your brand new car loses half its value driving off a lot. The first discount sale on the baddest-newest equipment gets you right in the gut.