Upgrade MOBO From LGA1150 to 1151

andrewq47

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Hi guys. I am upgrading my system because my motherboard died, and I have decided to upgrade the motherboard and cpu and ram.

My current system has a GIGABYTE B85 LGA 1150 MOBO and an i3, running Windows 10 Pro. I plan to upgrade to ASUS Z270 LGA 1151 MOBO and an i7 7700K.

Can I just disassemble my current system and just plug in my hard drives and GPU onto the new MOBO? If not, what are the things I need to do to ensure stability of the new build? Thanks!

Solution
Yes, old drivers will be backed up by windows when you replace them. They don't take much space anyway. Some drivers are same across all platforms so they will be kept.
You'll also meed DDR4 memory for new system. If you are using W10, you have a good chance of it booting from old disk and just change drivers afterwards. It's possible that even W7 would work but chances are much lower and than there is a question of it's activation.

andrewq47

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Yeah I am looking in DDR4 rams. So looks like I can just move my current C Disk to the new MOBO and boot? How do I change drivers afterwards?

andrewq47

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

So what do I do with the old drivers remaining on the hard disk? Do I simply install the new drivers using the DVD and don't even mind the old drivers?