[SOLVED] Upgrade Motherboard or Graphics Card

Jan 29, 2019
Hello everyone.

Would it be best to upgrade my old i5 2500k motherboard and processor or my graphics card NVidia 1070.

I mainly play games on it on a 27" 1440p monitor. Likes of Diablo 3, Warcraft & usually one standalone game such as Prey, Tomb raider etc.. to get the nice graphics.

The new Nvidia 2080 Graphics cards look nice and recommend for gaming at 1440p or better off going for a new motherboard say an i5 9500k so I could use one of those new M2 drives now the prices have dropped down a lot. I just hope the new motherboard processor CPU combos last as my current motherboard Asus P8ZGEN3 which has done me proud and never had any problems with it.

Solution
Actually, look up zen 2. AMD had done a long way since the old FX series. They are just very slightly behind Intel on single core performance at the moment, but zen 2 is a redesign, as well as shrink to 7nm. They are talking about single thread performance going up a bit, as well as some of the CPUs getting up toward the 5ghz mark.

I think for gaming/single threaded apps Intel night have been 10% ahead give or take. If they can up the single thread performance and if they can hit higher clock speeds, I think Intel will have a reason to sweat. From what I read they had an engineering sample at CES barely beating an i9. But of course those pesky get refined before release.
Jan 29, 2019

Thank you for your answer. Oh well it looks like a new Motherboard/cpu. Time to start researching which cpu to go for and which Asus motherboard.

Jan 29, 2019
Ah AMD going to release a new batch of CPU's might me worth the look. Not really into multitasking but it should drive down the price of the Intel cpu's and AMD might bring out a gaming CPU to really compete with the intel I5 series. As it is going to take a little while to save for the extra money for the new CPU motherboard combo. If I'm going to upgrade will try and get one of those new M2 NVME drives and a nice water cooler for my CPU to make my build future proof as possible so it will be a more costly upgrade. My old computer has done me proud and I'm sure it will last a while longer.

Actually, look up zen 2. AMD had done a long way since the old FX series. They are just very slightly behind Intel on single core performance at the moment, but zen 2 is a redesign, as well as shrink to 7nm. They are talking about single thread performance going up a bit, as well as some of the CPUs getting up toward the 5ghz mark.

I think for gaming/single threaded apps Intel night have been 10% ahead give or take. If they can up the single thread performance and if they can hit higher clock speeds, I think Intel will have a reason to sweat. From what I read they had an engineering sample at CES barely beating an i9. But of course those pesky get refined before release.

Solution