Upgrade my Corsair AX860i before a meltdown? Does HX1200i have "dirty" power compared to AX860i?

IamTheLaw86

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
I went SLI with my 1080ti video cards. (PC configuration listed at the bottom). This is not my first SLI rodeo, I also used to have 2x GTX 770's (4GB) on the same AX860i power supply.

The worst power draw I measured, using the 1080ti's in SLI, was 800w at the input of the supply. (from the wall), while playing Tomb Raider. I am also considering adding more hardware in the future, potentially upping the wattage even more!

I went to the back of my PC and listened to the power supply. A Loud whine and buzz was resonating, it was very hot. (750-800w load on 860w supply)

IS MY CURRENT SUPPLY BIG ENOUGH, DO I REALLY NEED TO UPGRADE?
Should I consider upgrading to a larger supply? I keep reading many posts that say a 850+ supply is fine for 1080ti in SLI.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN - POWER EFFICIENCY
I sort of feel like i'm downgrading by going from an AXi to an HXi. Is there a big power efficiency difference in regards to overclocking for the Corsair AX860i which is all digital vs the Corsair HX1200i which is analog? I was trying to read more about "ripple", "voltage on rails", etc., but, its really over my head at the moment.

I do overclock my CPU, memory, and GPUs. I do not want to effect these negatively or introduce "dirty" power into my system.

Additional Considerations
-I suspect the HXi model MIGHT be quieter and better on thermal temperatures than the AXi (not sure about that), which would help distribute less heat through my PC overall.

-Corsair link on my AX860i might have possibly died. I can no longer get the AX860i to show in corsair link software. What good is an AXi model that you can not see or utilize?

-I have custom sleeved cables for my Corsair AX860i, which is compatible with the HX1200i. This would make for an easy transition to the new supply. This simultaneously deters me from looking at other supplies, as it would be a greater investment to get all new custom sleeved cables.

-I found the HX1200i on sale and I can get it for $210.00 after tax and shipping.

-Not a fan of the blue, red, or any color, however the HXi looks more appealing (to me) with the chamfered edges and smoother surfaces. I also noticed the cable ports are in different spots on the newer HXi model, which would have made my life easier many times in the past.

Current Configuration
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula IX
CPU: Intel i7-7700k (overclocked to 4.8GHz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i (V1) 2x120mm closed loop cooler
RAM: 4x8 (32GB) G. Skill Trident Z RGB (3200 MHz)
GPUs (SLI): EVGA GeForce GTX 1080ti FTW3
Power Supply: Corsair AX860i (860 watt platinum digital)
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750d
Many fans, hard drives, LEDs, and yes... even 1 optical drive.

If you read all that, thank you very much for your time.

I would not run a system that constantly pulls that close to the max output. If your system uses about 800 watts, you would want a 1k power supply or higher. Both of the models are good quality, HX should be fine.

I agree with hang here; the fact that your PSU is making those noises when you run it that close to its max spec is a little bit concerning. Definitely go to the HX series, they are extremely high quality, and you won't notice a difference.