Upgrade old PC, recomendations.

mrFloki

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
hello guys i want your help to choose best parts to upgrade my pc.

My current build is:
*I5-2380p
*8gb dd3
*Gigabyte gtx 660
*Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 motherboard
*Evo 850 250gb +2tb HHD
*Seasonic S12II 430W.
*NZXT S340

Am planning upgrade my pc to 7th generation upcoming cpu. but there is so much chooses in motherboards and cpu's.. i am illustrator so i will mostly use photoshop and some casual gaming in free time.

in my new build i was aiming to use some old pc parts
like Video card, power supply, Storage and Case.

after some research i found that Photoshop is more ram based program so i imagine i would be fine with i5 CPU and 32gb ram~

but in future am planing to put 4K or ultrawide monitor and Intel PCE SSD, (currently they are out of my budget range so am planing to buy them in future when prices will drop)

Solution

well i7 is to much for my budget. i still think i5 is fine based on this discussion:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2808915/6600k-versus-6700k-photoshop.html
i would better use extra money for better motherboard.

p.s i do digital painting with photoshop so i always have ton of layers and big images + using heavy textured brushes. and it gets laggy...
If I upgraded your system for Photoshop on a budget. I'd get a i5-4590 and H97 mobo (that way you can reuse RAM). If you have budget to spend more...then i5-6500 + H170 + 16gb RAM. You don't need much RAM for Photoshop unless you are a Professional and this is your job. Otherwise you are wasting money and getting nothing (on more RAM). Your GPU, SSD, and PSU are still good. Sell off the old components (cpu, mobo, ram) and upgrade. i7 is really only for video work.

You might aswell get an i7 2600 and gtx 1060, it's a very good combo and it will save you money and you don't have to reinstall windows and everything. Sure the 7th gen cpu are a bit faster, but the i7 2600 is anything but slow and still is more than fine for games these days. :)

mrFloki

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Well problem with this motherboard is that it only supports Sata 3 so am kinda wasting SSD. and i would like to move to ddr4 RAM + as i mention with possibility to add PCE SSD because fast hard rive is crucial for photoshop. and am using this pc for my work, my current build is already bit slow. when i work with 5k revolution files.

mrFloki

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Well currently i am doing freelance work in my free time after studies. but from next year am planning start full-time freelancing and my existing PC is already laggy with bigger Photoshop files. + i would like get LGA 1151 type motherboard that i wont have to worry about upgrades for a while.

mrFloki

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

well i7 is to much for my budget. i still think i5 is fine based on this discussion:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2808915/6600k-versus-6700k-photoshop.html
i would better use extra money for better motherboard.

p.s i do digital painting with photoshop so i always have ton of layers and big images + using heavy textured brushes. and it gets laggy...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS