Upgrade older laptop to run Premiere Pro?

Jun 14, 2018
Hi everyone!
Sorry if this is a novice question, but I struggle to compare laptop hardware to system requirements. I currently have two older laptops, and wish to figure out if one of them can run Adobe Premiere Pro somewhat efficient if I make some alterations to them.

It is primarily about this one:
Acer Aspire e1 Series v5we2:

Intel Core i7-4500U 1.80 GHz
8 GB ram
win 10, 64 bit
Intel HD Graphics Family Haswell GT2 (?)
700 GB HDD

I've used this one for premiere before, not that it was quick, but it did the job when I was away from my desktop. When I tried it recently however, everything (not only adobe softwares) run SO SLOWLY. I assume it is because I lack an SSD harddrive, and my question is: If I replace the old HDD with an SSD, will that along with these other components be able to run Premiere?

My second laptop is an 2011 macbook air, with 1.7 ghz intel core i5, 4gb ram og intel HD graphics 3000 384 mb. SSD (probably at 120 gb). This one does not really meet the system requirements from Adobe, so I guess it is out of the question. However, it runs the adobe softwares faster than my other laptop, but I assume this is because of the SSD. I guess that is why I hope that my Acer laptop can run Premiere somewhat ok if I replace the HDD with an SSD.

All help is very appreciated! :)

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
If you use an old version of Premiere from when your laptop was still high-end then you should be fine.
Putting an SSD in there will make it feel like a new computer.
The CPU is weak, as is the integrated GPU, so Premiere will be sluggish at times, and you'll want to hit Ctrl+S a lot while working.
Encoding your final sequence will take a very long time, but that's to be expected.

Ideally you'd buy a new computer, but if you can't then this will just about do the job.

Edit: i just re-read your question and you want interoperability, so an older version is out. Still, give the current version a try with an SSD in there, it should run ok.

Jun 14, 2018

Allright thank you very much for your support. In case of replacing the harddrive, I am considering the Western Digital Blue 2,5" SSD 250GB: https://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-ssd.html
(Chosen specifically because it is in stock at our local store). I guess that will cooperate with the other components? Never heard about harddrives demanding specific components.

Jun 13, 2018

I still would not upgrade. Even if you upgrade to an SSD it is not worth it. Yes you will get faster load times for programs, faster boot times and shutdown times and such, but you will quickly notice that a faster SSD has not helped anything else and will be wanting a better laptop altogether. Depending on how much money you would be willing to spend, get a laptop with a decent CPU and GPU. You could always get something older and used but look for a good deal. Or if really on a budget then you could get a new laptop with an AMD APU such as the A8-7410. If you upgrade that with an SSD then you will definitely be happy.

I am speaking from personal experience. Trust me.

Plus, a 250GB SSD seems a bit small for video editing. Will your laptop fit two hard drives? because if not then you may find yourself running out of space pretty soon.

Jun 14, 2018

I appreciate your feedback! I am going to upgrade to a new laptop later, but as for now, I'll upgrade the harddrive, and use this in "emergencie editing" on the go. I rarely use the laptop for editing, so it is just for simple projects when I have to edit outside the office. Things will take time with this laptop, but hopefully the process (even if it is only the loading time) will be a bit faster. Storage is an issue. I will have to clear space for each project if I cannot edit straight from an external hard drive.