Upgrade on my computer:

zodric

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
I have a few questions: Im currently adding new parts to my computer (motherboard, and processor)
First timer, i set my eyes on at Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake architectur. The current CPU i have is: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2120 @ 3.10CHz. and a as-rock h77 pro4/mvp (DDR3 )motherboard..

1. Whats the best motherboard to fix a i5-6500 (mostly for gaming. CSGO) lol
2. Some say the DDR3 i have now wont work with the i5.. ? (If i do have to change my ram, what do you suggest for the i5?
3. If i do change my motherboard/processor.. will my windows 10 that i have now still be there?

Solution
there's no particular brand that's considered better than another. basically there's not much difference with RAM.
Corsair, Kingston, GSKill, GeIL & Patriot are the most popular though (in decending order)

year, the DDR3 memory of your GPU only interfaces with your GPU so that's perfectly fine, although you might look into upgradgin the GPU as it is pretty weak.

if you upgraded and set an account and linked your installation to the account you should be fine.
might still take a call with microsoft but you should be fine
1. a H170 / B150 board will be fine. as for which is the best, it depends on your needs and budget. I like the Gigabyte G1.Sniper B7 or the Asus H170 Pro Gaming as they're as good as it gets and come with all possible features. but the question is if you really need all of these features and can afford it.

2. DDR3 will not work. with skylake it's either DDR3L (which isn't really recommended) or DDR4. so nice DDR4-2133 RAM is what you should go for. Depending on your board, choose one off the compatibility list of the board. that's RAM that's tested and works 100% (although usually any RAM works)

3. you will probably have to reinstall Windows. Depending on your license this will work. if it's a retail license, you'll have to reinstall and it'll be fine. if it's an OEM license it depends. if you upgraded from Win7/Win8 to 10, Microsoft usually gives you a new activation key if you contact them. if you bought an OEM Win10, you'll most likely need a new copy, but I suggest contacting Windows anyway, they are usually fair and accommodating in these situations.

zodric

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

Thanks for the quick answer, I was actually looking at the Asus H170 Pro Gaming, its in my budget so im certain ill get that, any type of RAM brand i should get for the DD4 in certain? Btw, I Have a Radeon r7 240 DD3 graphic card, would that still work on the motherboard even if its a DD4??
And for the windows, i Did upgrade from a windows 7 to a 10. I heard that if you just long into your microsft account with youe use/pw it would restore it back to the windows.

there's no particular brand that's considered better than another. basically there's not much difference with RAM.
Corsair, Kingston, GSKill, GeIL & Patriot are the most popular though (in decending order)

year, the DDR3 memory of your GPU only interfaces with your GPU so that's perfectly fine, although you might look into upgradgin the GPU as it is pretty weak.

if you upgraded and set an account and linked your installation to the account you should be fine.
might still take a call with microsoft but you should be fine

Solution