[SOLVED] Upgrade options

Oct 17, 2020
Hi,

My PC is prehistoric and my graphics card is dying so I wonder if someone could advise on my options?

Currently have an AMD Radeon HD 5700 and am only looking for a basic upgrade since I'm on a budget (around £100/$130? Possibly 2nd hand?) But I'm assuming pretty much any old thing will be an improvement and my PC specs will limit me anyway.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
RAM 8GB
Baseboard M4A79XTD EVO
PSU 550W

Thanks for the help (y)

Solution
get something for graphics now, then swap that card over onto the upcomming new build. I'm in a similar place. If you can stretch your budget a hair, the nVidia 1650 vanillia would be a dramatic improvement, so would a 1050 or 1030. I am not real familiar with AMD's solutions in that range. I was looking for a physically smaller card for myself.

OBG of a new system would be an improvement as well, so you could also go that route, but if you are talking even cheap board, CPU and memory, you are still over budget.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
get something for graphics now, then swap that card over onto the upcomming new build. I'm in a similar place. If you can stretch your budget a hair, the nVidia 1650 vanillia would be a dramatic improvement, so would a 1050 or 1030. I am not real familiar with AMD's solutions in that range. I was looking for a physically smaller card for myself.

OBG of a new system would be an improvement as well, so you could also go that route, but if you are talking even cheap board, CPU and memory, you are still over budget.

Last edited:
Solution