Upgrade or Buy New PC

NessyPro

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hello Community,

Just looking for some advice on an issue I'm currently pondering over

Ive owned my current Custom PC (Ultra High End) Gaming Rig for 4years now (Since 2010), with a price of $3000. I Have been having some problems with my Graphics Cards recently but I'm looking to get my PC Serviced and Cleaned Properly and then over the next 6months look to upgrade to another PC Rig (Custom) or Upgrade the build i have now.

If i decide to buy a new build then i would sell my existing build with some parts removed (for use on the new build, here are the 3builds depending on what i do)

Current Build $3500
IS1Sixp.png

Future Build $3200
3zdEXKy.png

Selling Build $####
ljSSlGs.png

So My Question To the Community Is,

1. Should I Sell My Current Build (With The Peripherals Removed As Shown by "Selling Build" and Use that to offset the new build Ive been putting together.

With This What are some suggestions on a Selling Price at the Current Rates due to it being 3.5 - 4yrs old.

2. If Not, Should I Just Upgrade My PC, If So Recommendations (Intel Build Preferably - I Do A Lot of Graphic Design etc)

3. Suggestions on the Future Build, Opionions of Change Etc, or Opinions on a Suitable Upgrade :)

If Anything Could Be Answered It Would Be Highly Appreciated, Ive Looked It Over And Have My Own Views, I Would Like To See Other Gamers Ideas/Views

Much Regards,

CraigN

Distinguished
If you're going to spend that much on CPU and Motherboard, why not just jump shark to X99 and DDR4? You can get the 5820K for pretty close to the 4790K price, and most X99 boards are in the price range of that Gigabyte board you've picked.

Performance wise, the 2700K is no slouch, you could get by with just a graphics card upgrade for the time being to replace the dying one. But if you just want an excuse to get new shiny stuff, I'd say go X99 over X97. 6 Cores hyperthreaded for the same price as 4 cores hyperthreaded is the better deal there, though you'll eat the difference in RAM cost, since DDR4 isn't cheap.

Also, if you're going 970 and that much CPU horsepower, for god's sake, get a 2560x1440 IPS monitor, you'll have more room for your graphic work and you'll have a machine whose horsepower is wasted on peasant 1080P ;)

NessyPro

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Ye Im Australian So PCCaseGear is the Best Money/Value in AU.

And Ill look into that CraigN i really appreciate that, so do u think i should then upgrade Graphics, wait till next year then invest in the 2011-3 Socket either will a full new build (and sell existing) or a full-upgrade

CraigN

Distinguished
Pretty much. I think if you're willing to drop $3200 on a PC, you shouldn't be settling for regular Haswell, and you could get a lot more future proof on X99. I'd say go ahead and get the video card now, since you've mentioned having issues with your current one. Then when you're ready to take the plunge, or perhaps when you start seeing some holiday sales on X99 parts, start picking those up for an upgrade.

Since you'll be needing DDR4, motherboard, and CPU, yeah that does free up a whole system if you want to try and sell your old one. However, I'm not too knowledgeable on what Sandy Bridge parts are selling for these days, so I can't give you a recommendation there :\

NessyPro

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Ah man thats all good, i really appreciate the help, True Legend

I think ill take your advice and get the GTX 970 or 980, wait for the price drop on those X99 parts and upgrade to the 2011-3 Slot with the investment of the 5820K, Mobo and DDR4 i think that will as u said future proof it and if i wait for sales i could score it for a similar price

Much Regards