Upgrade or New Build?

Jan 2, 2019
Hello,

Several months ago, I purchased an HP Omen 870-224 and an Omen 144hz(FreeSync) monitor from my uncle for $500 all other. The PC has i5 7400, GTX 1060 3gb, and 8gb of ram. I play on 1080p medium/high settings averaging at about 80-100fps depending on what game. I mostly play Rainbow Six Siege and PUBG. For me, the PC is great and gameplays are smooth but FPS drops here and there. I don't really care about graphics that's why I don't mind gaming in medium/high settings or even low. What's important to me is performance and having high FPS and smooth gameplay. I also look forward on recording my own gameplays just to make highlight videos. Productivity wise, I use my PC a lot for gaming, surfing the web, and coding since I'm an Information System major. I do photo/video editing here and there.

Should I upgrade this PC or Should I sell it(my friend is interested in buying it for $500 just the tower) and build my own? I've always been interested in building my own PC as a learning experience and be proud of it. Also, another reason I would wanna build/upgrade is to make it look good and standout.

IF I build my own, here are the parts I'd be interested in buying:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6vXcr6

IF I upgrade, here are the parts I'd buy:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JptGMZ

Please review the parts and comment any suggestions/mistakes/etc. Or just provide any feedbacks

Or, should I just upgrade the PC I have now? If I upgrade it, here are the parts I'd buy

Solution
Ah okay, so yes, freesync it is. Although odd.

Sorry but there's nothing wrong with nzxt case, I simply put another eye candy Case. You can choose whichever.

Ryzen 2600 instead of X.... Because the X is factory Overclock. You can do the overclock yourself. Why pay that mark up?
Also, removed cooler. The one that comes with ryzen is pretty decent and can do a moderate overclock.

The power supply that I suggested was modular, full. You replaced it with semi modular from your first build, which is a lower tier PSU anyway.

I made some changes. You're right in graphics card, I was looking at the wrong numbers and didn't realize the boost clock speeds.

Last thing. AMD systems will have a hard time hitting the 144hz mark for the monitor...

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
I'm not the best myself for picking out parts, however i can definitely suggest that you pick a different case.. Airflow is crazy important.
I recently bought a nice coolermaster case with a glass front panel and my case has absolutely terrible airflow. Consider finding a case with a mesh front of some sort where there is room to put a few large fans to bring in cool air.

Both lists are terrible. RX590 isn't worth it, rather go for rx580. But at the same time, Nvidia is right around the corner with their new mainstream lineup.

The games that you play are very cpu heavy and that's why you're seeing fps drop (mainly), because your cpu is a slower i5, upgrading that will show a big performance difference right away.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power - S55 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $487.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 03:25 EST-0500

if upgrade path would be taken, this is a good start before GPU, as you can wait fire new lineup and see how you like new performance . May also need a power supply. But the way you want to upgrade, might as well build a new rig.

Are you sure it's a freesync monitor? Or is it g-sync?

Here's a list for building new rig. As you mentioned that you do editing, ryzen is up for that just like you picked out. May be worth going for ryzen 2700 for you. Your list has poor Ram choice mainly followed by lower tier in other departments. I cannot recommend rx590, it's not worth the price? Vega series is too expensive, unless you're okay with reference cards. I see higher end Nvidia cards being better purchases, so that would point you to changing your monitor. Or make a decision on the GPU, a nice rx580 would be better but to make use of that monitor.... It might lack a bit. Anyway, I'll reference to one Rx series after. Some of these components could be cheaper, but I went more for eye candy as you mentioned you wanted.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1071.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 03:54 EST-0500
Buy a Windows license from eBay, 5-10$ for an OEM type

rX580 if you wish to go that way . This is a super clocked rx580, notice the speed is quite a bit higher than other cards. This will be good if you have that freesync.

Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $219.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 03:57 EST-0500

Jan 2, 2019

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. And yes, the monitor is FreeSync. When I go to settings, under viewing modes it says "Gaming - FreeSync"
But why Ryzen 5 2600 and not the 2600X? For PSU, why Non-Modular? With the case, what's wrong with the NZXT H500i?

Anyways, I have update the parts list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9JfWdX

Can you review it one last time and provide some final feedbacks? My budget was originally somewhere around $1000.

Ah okay, so yes, freesync it is. Although odd.

Sorry but there's nothing wrong with nzxt case, I simply put another eye candy Case. You can choose whichever.

Ryzen 2600 instead of X.... Because the X is factory Overclock. You can do the overclock yourself. Why pay that mark up?
Also, removed cooler. The one that comes with ryzen is pretty decent and can do a moderate overclock.

The power supply that I suggested was modular, full. You replaced it with semi modular from your first build, which is a lower tier PSU anyway.

I made some changes. You're right in graphics card, I was looking at the wrong numbers and didn't realize the boost clock speeds.

Last thing. AMD systems will have a hard time hitting the 144hz mark for the monitor (or fps), a wider 2k monitor would be a better performer at 60hz/75hz freesync. (This is just future info).

And... Ewwww, I replaced it usb wifi adapter. Should've mentioned that you need it, I didn't see in initial build.

I replaced the motherboard with one that has built in wifi adapter. It's more expensive, but it's fully loaded.

If you want, you could remove secondary storage drive and get 1tb SSD drive.

Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($61.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8 GB NITRO+ Special Edition Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $931.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 05:47 EST-0500

--------------------------------------

I think I should show you this. This is what your system would look like if on a tighter budget. It's important to see the difference between low budget and your hand picked parts.... To determine if you want to spend what you're spending. Because you could essentially reach gtx1070ti and rather than rely on freesync, could get closer to that 144hz output. But it's a sacrifice of look.

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.04 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - S12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.81 @ OutletPC)
Total: $716.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 06:00 EST-0500

========>

You see, I'm just thinking about it, and at some sacrifice you'll get a system that lasts longer? Forget about freesync. I left the RGB Ram as that was the only thing not to bust the budget too much.

Have a thought about it

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg Business)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.90 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.81 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1010.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-02 06:17 EST-0500

did I confuse you now? #1 system is based on looks, still very good performance and you'll be happy for at least 2-3 years. #2 is a budget build view, similar 2-3 years happy gaming. #3 will put you past 3 years without worry

Solution
Jan 2, 2019

Ok, I'm definitely going for #3 . I am now thinking about buying the 1070 Ti. I might wait for the price to drop or save up some more and then buy it instead of rx 580.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8GbJXP
Is this a good 1070 Ti?

No. That is a "reference" style card, almost all cards like that are of poor design (with exception to some founders edition or limited edition which look like this).
Generally, single blower/fan like that card, don't bother. It's worth your 50-70$ to get a tuned/upgraded card

The gtx1070ti does drop down to 360ish. Stay away from Power Color (budget card, doesn't perform at full potential), try avoid Zotac (good cards, but built a bit cheap). You'll probably end up with gigabyte. And even at that, the CPU was 155$ last week... So if you want, take a couple of weeks to gather components through special pricing

Just make sure that when You're buying your GPU... To take into account the warranty term. Some cards only come with 1 year, which is a big gamble on a 500$ purchase.

Jan 2, 2019

This is the final build I'm going for, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yCCHjy . Going for this for the performance, looks, and 3+ years of use without issues as you mentioned. The GPU might change depending on which one drops its price but it will still be most likely gonna be a 1070 Ti. Also, I plan on building this PC next month so depending on what new GPU comes out and what the price will be, GPU might change. I'll stay updated.

Jan 2, 2019

Okay, I'll keep my eyes on that

Jan 2, 2019

Ehhh... I don't know if I can wait another year. This PC I have is pretty old. The GPU is starting to get pretty hot than it used to and the fan on it is pretty loud now compared to before. If I try to upgrade my current PC and then wait a year to build a new rig, it'll just be a waste because there will be too much to upgrade in this thing that's why I think it's better to just build a new one.