Upgrade or no ? GTX 660

FinnishFlash

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hello people in the interwebs !

I have a slight problem which has bothered me for a while. Long story short, I have been playing on my rig for two and a half years now. I will post the important parts of the rig down below. My longtime friend Asus GTX 660 has finally failed me to deliver me what I want. Normally I just fancy playing CS:GO, Dota 2 etc. not so graphically demanding games. But now I have started playing new titles like The Division, Fallout 4 and Arma 3. I cant run the games on High/Ultra settings which would be lovely since The Division is just so beautiful even on Low settings. What would be the ideal upgrade now or should I just wait for the new Pascal GPUs to get released.

I have been looking towards R9 390 and GTX 970 but I can`t decide which one those would suit my needs better. Sometimes the heat production and power consumption of AMD makes me scared. But sometimes it feels like that GTX 970 is not enough for the future (3.5GB memory issue).I have a Benq XL2411Z 144hz monitor and I am playing at 1080p most of the time. Of course in the future 1440p (G-Sync or Freesync) and 144hz would be great if the prices would go down just a little bit. I don`t mind waiting for the new Pascal/Polaris to get released.

My rig:

CPU: 4670K
MB: Asus Z87-K
GPU: Asus GTX 660
PSU: XFX 750W XXX Edition Semi Modular

I think those are the most important parts for you to know.

Please help a fellow gamer !

Solution
the new AMD GPUs, although mostly rebranded, perform better with lower heat outputs. Don't worry about the heat and go for the 390. (Coming from an Nvidia fan :)

ajitesh

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
the new AMD GPUs, although mostly rebranded, perform better with lower heat outputs. Don't worry about the heat and go for the 390. (Coming from an Nvidia fan :)

Solution