[SOLVED] Upgrade or not to upgrade

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi all

Out of curiosity is it worth upgrading a 2200g with a rx570 and 2666hz 8gb ram to a 3600/3600x with the rx570 or just upgrading the Gpu to a 1660ti and keeping the 2200g ? The cpu do play a big part but for gaming a Gpu does.is it not worth upgrading for 1080p gaming as you can still get 60fps easily. The 3600 and 1660ti are around the same price. Also have in mind upgrading ram to 16gb 3200hz aswell. which is the better combination to upgrade aswell as get good performance and save money. What other options are they? Would it be worth upgrading if you overclock the 2200g And the rx570.mainly for gaming movie streaming iTunes browsing etc.not heavy work.

Any thoughts would be great

Solution
I saw an article yesterday that there’s been Oc issues with the 3000 chips,not sure if that’s correct?
It's not so much an "issue" with overclocking, as it is that the processors simply don't provide much room for additional performance gains through manual overclocking, since their boost algorithms utilize nearly the full capabilities of the processors out of the box. Overclocking doesn't yield much additional performance, so doing so can largely be considered unnecessary.

10 nm won't be on Desktop for another 2 years according to the road map.
Well, it could potentially be more like 1.5 years. It sounds like their next 14nm refresh will be out around the end of this year or beginning of the next, and I suspect that...
Depends what sort of games you play, as those will be more resource intensive. For example, run your games and monitor system performance and see which is maxing out. Frame rates are a combination of the CPU and GPU; some games rely on CPU more, while some rely on the GPU more.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Hi all

Out of curiosity is it worth upgrading a 2200g with a rx570 and 2666hz 8gb ram to a 3600/3600x with the rx570 or just upgrading the Gpu to a 1660ti and keeping the 2200g ? The cpu do play a big part but for gaming a Gpu does.is it not worth upgrading for 1080p gaming as you can still get 60fps easily. The 3600 and 1660ti are around the same price. Also have in mind upgrading ram to 16gb 3200hz aswell. which is the better combination to upgrade aswell as get good performance and save money. What other options are they? Would it be worth upgrading if you overclock the 2200g And the rx570.mainly for gaming movie streaming iTunes browsing etc.not heavy work.

Any thoughts would be great
What monitor and motherboard do you have? Are you finding your current rig lacking or are you just itching to upgrade?

You're in kind of a tough spot for upgrades if you play any CPU heavy games. The config is probably fine as it stands but upgrading the GPU would leave the CPU and possibly the RAM a bit lacking. Upgrading the CPU wouldn't do much for frame rates although it might offer smoother all around performance and more consistent frame times. Of course most of this doesn't matter if you don't have a monitor that can display the higher frame rates.

GPU and CPU competition is heating up right now. The new RX 5700 series bodes well for new AMD GPU's that should be out in the near future. Considering the 5700 pretty much matches the 2060 super The 5600 (XT) should match or beat the 1660 ti for similar or less money. The 3600(x) is a great CPU. I have 3 of them. I have mine all working good on b450 and x370 but there is still some teething issues with the Bios'. I've been seeing a lot of people having serious issues getting the 3000 CPU's to work well with older boards. I'm not arrogant enough to assume they all don't know what they are doing just because my stuff is working well.

Moral of the story.....I'd wait it out for more Navi GPU's and Intel's CPU response to Zen 2. Keep saving your money and upgrade CPU and GPU at the same time. The chances you'll get more for your money 3-6 months from now are pretty good. Not to mention the Ryzen prices will probably come down around the holidays and the teething issues will hopefully be sorted out long before then. If anything, we're due for RAM prices to move in the wrong direction.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Currently play the d2 and assassins creed I want to start playing more like destiny 2 etc. Playing the division 2 on high ,so far 47fps 100% GPU and 74%CPU also it’s using a lot of ram 5.9. My monitor is 2560x1080 not 1920x1080 so the FPS arnt the same. With my other monitor on high I was getting 55-57fps.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
What monitor and motherboard do you have? Are you finding your current rig lacking or are you just itching to upgrade?

You're in kind of a tough spot for upgrades if you play any CPU heavy games. The config is probably fine as it stands but upgrading the GPU would leave the CPU and possibly the RAM a bit lacking. Upgrading the CPU wouldn't do much for frame rates although it might offer smoother all around performance and more consistent frame times. Of course most of this doesn't matter if you don't have a monitor that can display the higher frame rates.

GPU and CPU competition is heating up right now. The new RX 5700 series bodes well for new AMD GPU's that should be out in the near future. Considering the 5700 pretty much matches the 2060 super The 5600 (XT) should match or beat the 1660 ti for similar or less money. The 3600(x) is a great CPU. I have 3 of them. I have mine all working good on b450 and x370 but there is still some teething issues with the Bios'. I've been seeing a lot of people having serious issues getting the 3000 CPU's to work well with older boards. I'm not arrogant enough to assume they all don't know what they are doing just because my stuff is working well.

Moral of the story.....I'd wait it out for more Navi GPU's and Intel's CPU response to Zen 2. Keep saving your money and upgrade CPU and GPU at the same time. The chances you'll get more for your money 3-6 months from now are pretty good. Not to mention the Ryzen prices will probably come down around the holidays and the teething issues will hopefully be sorted out long before then. If anything, we're due for RAM prices to move in the wrong direction.
No not at all that’s not arrogant. Maybe some chips aren’t performing aswell as others. I wonder how many hours of testing they have done. Currently I have the b450prime plus Asus. 2560x1080 75hz and have another 1920x1080 75hz don’t always play dual.

When I got my rig I didn’t no much about hardware so kind of a budget build. So I’m willing to spend $650-$700 to upgrade. I do feel the itch to upgrade.but I see a lack in performance aswell. Boot up is quick like 10seconds or so from an ssd. Occasionally freezes and gaming it does a lot. Your 100% right.i mean the price of ram at the moment the g.skill tridentz is on special it’s down.

I had in mind changing my motherboard aswell because I snapped the front 3.0 panel pin off lol i saw an msi b450 mortar mb which looked awesome.

Intel is only going to bring new chips out on 2021 I just read an article about 10 minutes ago.

Did you do a bios upgrade before you put your 3000 in or after?Maybe it was there motherboards.

I think your 100% I will wait for Christmas or so but there are good prices on Gpu at the moment and I’m not sure if it’s for a clearance or not. But I’m definitely going to buy the ram as the prices are really good. All the 3000 series are 10%off even the new 2060 super is 33%off. Aswell as the 5700. So I’m not sure how much lower they can go.

Do you think the chips are expensive for retailers to buy?

Last edited:
Intel is only going to bring new chips out on 2021 I just read an article about 10 minutes ago.
No, that's likely referring to when they will move to an updated architecture on a new process node. They will almost certainly have a new series of processors coming around the end of this year or early next year. Still on the 14nm Skylake architecture, like the rest of their processors from the last several years, but leaks indicate that they may feature increased thread counts at a given price point to help them better compete with Ryzen. It sounds like they may be leaving Hyperthreading enabled across their lineup, so the i5s may perform more like the i7s do now at heavily-multithreaded tasks, and the i7s may in turn perform more like i9s. Which is something they need to do, since the Ryzen 3000-series processors already do this.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
No, that's likely referring to when they will move to an updated architecture on a new process node. They will almost certainly have a new series of processors coming around the end of this year or early next year. Still on the 14nm Skylake architecture, like the rest of their processors from the last several years, but leaks indicate that they may feature increased thread counts at a given price point to help them better compete with Ryzen. It sounds like they may be leaving Hyperthreading enabled across their lineup, so the i5s may perform more like the i7s do now at heavily-multithreaded tasks, and the i7s may in turn perform more like i9s. Which is something they need to do, since the Ryzen 3000-series processors already do this.
Ah I see my bad. I hope they bring there prices down to I mean $2000 for an i9 oppose to 450-500 and the performance differences. But like is it really worth upgrading your chip because s new model has come out?i no the new ones have more cores and threads which make s huge difference if your running a server or a super high end rig but for average users don’t you think it’s not worth upgrading?

Intel is massive compared to amd. So I’m sure they will bring strong chips out. It’s hard to even keep up with the amount of models they have.

It will be interesting to see what socket type they come up with or if they keep it the same.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Currently play the d2 and assassins creed I want to start playing more like destiny 2 etc. Playing the division 2 on high ,so far 47fps 100% GPU and 74%CPU also it’s using a lot of ram 5.9. My monitor is 2560x1080 not 1920x1080 so the FPS arnt the same. With my other monitor on high I was getting 55-57fps.
Well as I suspected the config is doing pretty well for what it is. The 2200g isn't holding back the rx 470 from 100% utilization.

No not at all that’s not arrogant. Maybe some chips aren’t performing aswell as others. I wonder how many hours of testing they have done. Currently I have the b450prime plus Asus. 2560x1080 75hz and have another 1920x1080 75hz don’t always play dual.

When I got my rig I didn’t no much about hardware so kind of a budget build. So I’m willing to spend $650-$700 to upgrade. I do feel the itch to upgrade.but I see a lack in performance aswell. Boot up is quick like 10seconds or so from an ssd. Occasionally freezes and gaming it does a lot. Your 100% right.i mean the price of ram at the moment the g.skill tridentz is on special it’s down.

I had in mind changing my motherboard aswell because I snapped the front 3.0 panel pin off lol i saw an msi b450 mortar mb which looked awesome.

Did you do a bios upgrade before you put your 3000 in or after?Maybe it was there motherboards.

I think your 100% I will wait for Christmas or so but there are good prices on Gpu at the moment and I’m not sure if it’s for a clearance or not. But I’m definitely going to buy the ram as the prices are really good. All the 3000 series are 10%off even the new 2060 super is 33%off. Aswell as the 5700. So I’m not sure how much lower they can go.

Do you think the chips are expensive for retailers to buy?

That sounds like kind of a bummer that the usb 3 is borked on your board. If it doesn't bother you that much the motherboard you have will do fine with a 3600(x). The VRM would probably handle a 3700x/3800x fine too but it's somewhat borderline. I would probably upgrade to a better motherboard if you decide to go all out and grab an 8 core. The Mortar and many of the other MSI b450 have good power delivery. I'm not a big MSI guy personally but they do make the best VRMs on b450. Not all of the boards are good though. X570 is probably the way to go if not going budget build with an R5.

If you are US based and have a micro center near you you can buy a 3000 CPU and get $50 off on a motherboard right now. They also have good deals on open box stuff. They will give you the $50 off on open box boards as well. All you have to do is ask. Right now I could grab a 2600 and get an open box AsRock b450m Pro 4 for free. That's actually a decent motherboard too.

Most b450 motherboards will require a bios update. I bought 2 of the above AsRock boards on launch day and they were both Ryzen 3000 ready out of the box. They were marked as such on the box which is another reason to shop MC if possible. You never know what you'll get from online retailers. I didn't use these boards in 3000 builds but I did put one on my bench and test it with a 3600 yesterday. It worked just fine besides a little memory weirdness that is no doubt Bios related.

Since you already have a CPU, upgrading the bios is no big deal anyway. Just wait to sell it until you have your new rig up and running. If you wait this will be less of issue unless you get an old stock motherboard from an online retailer.

It's hard to predict prices on computer parts. With new stuff constantly coming out its hard to know when to buy. There is always something around the corner that can throw prices in a tizzy. I'm not a prophet but I see Ryzen prices getting cut when Intel comes out with a response. I see all GPU prices coming down when AMD gets more Navi cards on the market as well. Nvidia has been inflating prices for the last several years on GPU's. Turing has been a pricing disaster. With Navi being really good and AMD looking to grab market share they'll really shake up GPU pricing if Navi scales well. It might not happen before the holiday season but I suspect they might launch stuff to go along side the 3950x release. Either way November and December is the best time to buy computer parts in my experience.

At the end of the day if your system isn't cutting it for you go ahead and upgrade now. Saving money isn't always the most important thing.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Ye I no it is a bummer.but I guess I could just get a usb hub and plug it in the back to make things easier because it’s always a mission reaching back.

Ye that’s true but I guess I’ll just keep my MB and save money on buying another mb I can contribute it to something els in my pc. I herd the x570 board is incrediblue but it’s very very pricy. I would only go for that board if I had a high end pc because it’s jot worth the price of my system.

Really Those are such good deals. What exactly does open box mean? I no with otherproducts people bring them back within the return period. Does that mean the mb was put in a system and used?

At the moment I saw you could buy a 2600 at the same price as the 3400g and buy a 2700 at the
same price as the 3600. Those are good deals.

Really and how was it on the board?I saw an article yesterday that there’s been Oc issues with the 3000 chips,not sure if that’s correct?

i totally get you.at the moment prices are weird.I was actually thinking maybe keep my cpu,upgrade the ram and the 5700 is on special 15% off. Someone told me The reason why AMD dropped price is because at original cost there was zero reason to consider the Navi Video cards.

i checked the specs and benchmarks with the 2200g and the 5700/2060super it’s less than 15% of a bottleneck using gpucheck.com. I think that’s maybe more worth upgrading now and upgrade my cpu later. Because with the 5700 and 2200 I’m getting 20% more fps at 1080, 19% more fps at 1440 and 12% more fps at 4K. So thats a huge difference.But is it worth it?the performance should be stable. I mean it’s gaming mostly. Or I could get the Asus Rtx Dual Oc 2060 for 35% less of its original price.

What i I don’t understand is they just released the 3000 series and the new 5700 and there are issues already big ones. I’ve herd driver issues noises thermal issues. Dont you think the marketing is so convincing to customers for amd they we have all made mistakes buying the 3000 series or the new cards. I mean Intel could realesse new chips which would be like an elephant standing on a poststamp And there goes everyone’s money because the marketing was so good and convincing but yet we never knew what intel was capable of. Don’t you think that?for all we know intels new chips could be insane 12 cores 24 threads even maybe a boost clock of 6 ghz

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Really Those are such good deals. What exactly does open box mean? I no with otherproducts people bring them back within the return period. Does that mean the mb was put in a system and used?

I believe they are customer returns usually. I buy them all the time. Never had an issue. Just make sure you check for the I/O shield and accessories.

Really and how was it on the board?I saw an article yesterday that there’s been Oc issues with the 3000 chips,not sure if that’s correct?

The board is fine. The only issue I had was with the motherboard not wanting to post consistently with the memory XMP profile enabled. I'm sure it will be fine once we get some bios updates. I'm not sure what you are referring too with the overclocking thing. There are some problems with the bios' causing CPU to not boost fully with a certain AGESA code. Perhaps this is what you mean?

i totally get you.at the moment prices are weird.I was actually thinking maybe keep my cpu,upgrade the ram and the 5700 is on special 15% off. Someone told me The reason why AMD dropped price is because at original cost there was zero reason to consider the Navi Video cards.

Yeah they are lot more compelling after the price drop. I get the feeling the prices are a minefield now with more Navi cards looming.

i checked the specs and benchmarks with the 2200g and the 5700/2060super it’s less than 15% of a bottleneck using gpucheck.com. I think that’s maybe more worth upgrading now and upgrade my cpu later. Because with the 5700 and 2200 I’m getting 20% more fps at 1080, 19% more fps at 1440 and 12% more fps at 4K. So thats a huge difference.But is it worth it?the performance should be stable. I mean it’s gaming mostly. Or I could get the Asus Rtx Dual Oc 2060 for 35% less of its original price.

The 5700 is a better card IMO. It makes the 2060 irrelevant in my view although it was a pretty good buy previously. If you plan to upgrade the CPU eventually i think grabbing a GPU now is a good move. It would wait for partner cards to come out so you don't need to use the blower cooler though.

What i I don’t understand is they just released the 3000 series and the new 5700 and there are issues already big ones. I’ve herd driver issues noises thermal issues. Dont you think the marketing is so convincing to customers for amd they we have all made mistakes buying the 3000 series or the new cards. I mean Intel could realesse new chips which would be like an elephant standing on a poststamp And there goes everyone’s money because the marketing was so good and convincing but yet we never knew what intel was capable of. Don’t you think that?for all we know intels new chips could be insane 12 cores 24 threads even maybe a boost clock of 6 ghz

Teething issues on completely new architectures is to be expected. This stuff will all get sorted out. I think a lot of this is user error and people coming from Intel CPU's misunderstanding how Ryzen CPUs behave. My issues with 3000 cpus across 4 different models of older motherboards have been pretty minimal and easily rectified. Intel will come back with a rearrangement of their lineup to compete. They are stuck on there current architecture for now though. They have room to rearrange pricing and play with core and thread counts across the range. They can also play with turbo speeds, design CPUs without IGP, and unlock overclocking on all of the chips. 10 cores and 20 threads has been rumored but that is probably the best they can do. They can compete with a lineup refresh easily in terms of performance. They could beat AMD at gaming across the entire lineup if they want. Where they can't compete is power efficiency and platform cost. The motherboard power delivery requirements and cooler requirements are just too steep on higher core/thread parts compared to AMD. They need to move to 10 nm and include a good box cooler to compete with AMD in this regard. 10 nm won't be on Desktop for another 2 years according to the road map.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I believe they are customer returns usually. I buy them all the time. Never had an issue. Just make sure you check for the I/O shield and accessories.

The board is fine. The only issue I had was with the motherboard not wanting to post consistently with the memory XMP profile enabled. I'm sure it will be fine once we get some bios updates. I'm not sure what you are referring too with the overclocking thing. There are some problems with the bios' causing CPU to not boost fully with a certain AGESA code. Perhaps this is what you mean?

Yeah they are lot more compelling after the price drop. I get the feeling the prices are a minefield now with more Navi cards looming.

The 5700 is a better card IMO. It makes the 2060 irrelevant in my view although it was a pretty good buy previously. If you plan to upgrade the CPU eventually i think grabbing a GPU now is a good move. It would wait for partner cards to come out so you don't need to use the blower cooler though.

Teething issues on completely new architectures is to be expected. This stuff will all get sorted out. I think a lot of this is user error and people coming from Intel CPU's misunderstanding how Ryzen CPUs behave. My issues with 3000 cpus across 4 different models of older motherboards have been pretty minimal and easily rectified. Intel will come back with a rearrangement of their lineup to compete. They are stuck on there current architecture for now though. They have room to rearrange pricing and play with core and thread counts across the range. They can also play with turbo speeds, design CPUs without IGP, and unlock overclocking on all of the chips. 10 cores and 20 threads has been rumored but that is probably the best they can do. They can compete with a lineup refresh easily in terms of performance. They could beat AMD at gaming across the entire lineup if they want. Where they can't compete is power efficiency and platform cost. The motherboard power delivery requirements and cooler requirements are just too steep on higher core/thread parts compared to AMD. They need to move to 10 nm and include a good box cooler to compete with AMD in this regard. 10 nm won't be on Desktop for another 2 years according to the road map.

Thats A Good thing to know. Are the warranties and everything the same as new?

yes that’s exactly what I mean sorry about that. But are all amd MB compatible?Maybe some arnt?

Ive been looking at the 2060 and 5700 and there are a few comparisons like the clock speeds and design,I’m not sure if the 5700 has one fan?The problem is I’m not confident it Amd Gpu‘s. My current one I haven’t had for long and there are issues with the thermals and my games are crashing etc. So that’s why I wanted to go the nvidia route.

The 2060 seems like a great card aswell. But it’s very pricy knowing that it’s kind of a 1070ti so is it good value for money for what you getting or the 5700. Do out the box boost clock make a difference? I just don’t want to have issues. I’m not sure what the thermals are like in the 5700?its like a closed Gpu with a tiny hole to breathe air. But I think I will grap a GPU it’s a good option now. The prices of the 3000 I’m sure will be low around the holiday season.

I think your 100% right it’s a lot different going from intel to amd in terms of features and the technical part especially if you’ve been using intel for 20years or so. the 3000 series comes with a pretty good cooler if your just using it for general use. With intel there coolers are terrible lol. And the Intergrated Graphics Is great I saw a AAA game being played on 30fps which is impressive in my thoughts.

Your so right intel would come really strong with gaming. But I’m sure there will be no issues what so ever when the new chips are out.

In the history of processors has there ever been a need to upgrade your bios to support a next gen model. Like has intel ever required it?not talking about updating.

another issue going back to amd graphics cards is installing adrenaline software and updates are a nightmare with my experience,very difficult either black screens or flickering I even had to reinstall windows once believe it or not as I turned my pc off from the switch as nothing else worked

I saw an article yesterday that there’s been Oc issues with the 3000 chips,not sure if that’s correct?
It's not so much an "issue" with overclocking, as it is that the processors simply don't provide much room for additional performance gains through manual overclocking, since their boost algorithms utilize nearly the full capabilities of the processors out of the box. Overclocking doesn't yield much additional performance, so doing so can largely be considered unnecessary.

10 nm won't be on Desktop for another 2 years according to the road map.
Well, it could potentially be more like 1.5 years. It sounds like their next 14nm refresh will be out around the end of this year or beginning of the next, and I suspect that will finally be their last generation of 14nm desktop processors. And if this roughly yearly release cycle continues, then it's possible that their 10nm desktop chips may be out around the beginning of 2021.

I’m not sure what the thermals are like in the 5700?its like a closed Gpu with a tiny hole to breathe air.
While the 5700 seems like a decent graphics card, I would wait until versions with other styles of coolers come out if you are concerned about thermals. Currently, the reference design is the only version for sale, and those use a blower-style cooler. That kind of cooler can be good in small cases, since it directly exhausts heat out the back, but they tend to run warm compared to the double or triple fan open-air coolers that have become the norm on most graphics cards in this class. Cards with more cooler options should likely be available in a matter of weeks.

In the history of processors has there ever been a need to upgrade your bios to support a next gen model. Like has intel ever required it?not talking about updating.
Updating the BIOS to support new processors tends to be the norm whenever a motherboard can be used across multiple processor generations. Without a BIOS update, the motherboard can't recognize the new CPUs. Intel, however, tends to only support two generations of processors on a given motherboard before requiring a new board, while AMD is on their third generation supporting AM4, and I suspect next year's CPUs will likely be compatible with these boards as well, provided the board manufacturers offer a BIOS update for them. If you already have a have a working Ryzen system, downloading and installing the update to support the new processors should typically be pretty straightforward, so long as you download the correct file for your board.

If you are talking about replacing the actual BIOS chip to support a new processor, that's generally not the case on modern hardware, as the chips can be reprogrammed through an update, making it unnecessary.

Solution