My current build:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5600X
MOBO: MSI X-570 PRO
RAM: DDR 4 4x8 RIPJAWS G.SKILL 3600
MEMORY: TWO M.2 1 TERABYTE DRIVES, 1 TERABYTE SSD
GPU: REFERENCE RADEON 6950 XT
PSU: CORSAIR 80+ PLATNINUM HX1000W
WIN 10

I'm wanting to bring up a discussion whether to upgrade to a AM5 7000 CPU build or just wait for the upcoming AM5 8000 CPU? A few weeks ago I replaced my pc case with the HYTE 60 and it made me think of doing a new build. Yes I'm a PC hardware nerd/enthusiast that likes to build pc's. I noticed that microcenter has a lot of cpu's for AM4 and AM5 socket on deep sales now. Overall this build has been really good and some of the graphic/cpu intensive games that came out this year have run pretty well also. Was just wondering what everyone's opinion is since the rumor mill has the 8000 series being released in a few short months.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes I'm a PC hardware nerd/enthusiast that likes to build pc's.
Apart from that, what do you tax the system with? If the funds aren't burning a hole in your wallet, I'd hold off on any upgrades until the new year rolls out and see what AMD has to say in Q2 2024.

Feb 24, 2023
Yes I'm a PC hardware nerd/enthusiast that likes to build pc's.
Apart from that, what do you tax the system with? If the funds aren't burning a hole in your wallet, I'd hold off on any upgrades until the new year rolls out and see what AMD has to say in Q2 2024.
My system only gets taxed with gaming. I don't do any actual "work" on it when it comes to how the cpu is used. My funds aren't burning a hole really but I'm financially able to upgrade without hurting my wallet. The last upgrade with this build was from a 2600x to the 5600x, along with the 6950xt gpu. I tend to wait or skip a series sometimes before I either upgrade or do a new build. Overall happy with this build, was just wanting to hear some thoughts on the matter.

Feb 24, 2023
I would also be inclined to say wait it out too, unless you really feel you need a CPU upgrade.
Ya for the most part I'm pretty patient. I don't mind waiting and for once I can finally upgrade or do a new build (just because I feel like it) without hurting my wallet. I tend to either wait it out or skip a series before I upgrade or do a new build. I am interested in seeing the "official" spes and release date of the 8000 series from AMD.

This is my pc setup. Wanting to bring up a discussion whether to upgrade to a AM5 7000 CPU build or just wait for the upcoming AM5 8000 CPU? A few weeks ago I replaced my pc case with the HYTE 60 and it made me think of doing a new build. Yes I'm a PC hardware nerd/enthusiast that likes to build pc's. I noticed that microcenter has a lot of cpu's for AM4 and AM5 socket on deep sales now. Overall this build has been really good and some of the graphic/cpu intensive games that came out this year have run pretty well also. Was just wondering what everyone's opinion is since the rumor mill has the 8000 series being released in a few short months.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5600X
MOBO: MSI X-570 PRO
RAM: DDR 4 4x8 RIPJAWS G.SKILL 3600
MEMORY: TWO M.2 1 TERABYTE DRIVES, 1 TERABYTE SSD
GPU: REFERENCE RADEON 6950 XT
PSU: CORSAIR 80+ PLATNINUM HX1000W
WIN 10
Depends how high up the ladder you want to go and how patient you are.

You could just toss in a 5800x3d and give the games a nice bump or wait
for what's coming next year.

It all comes down to if you are happy with the current state of performance of your system offers, some people do always have to have the latest and greatest but really don't need even half the system, and I get that, I use to do that when I was younger when a 1 year old system was pretty slow for modern games and tasks, but now PC hardware sorta stagnated that even a 5 year old system can still do really well, heck the 4790 from 2014 still does really well shockingly.

The 5800x3d as stated is a pretty healthy bump in some games over the 5600x, others not so much, The 5800x3d does still give Intel 14th gen stuff a run for its money, and a 7800x3d I personally don't think its worth the cost of building a new system for a marginal gain, its faster yes but not much.

Personally I would recommend to stick with the 5000 series, if you find that the 5600x is not enough, 5800x3d, need more than 16 threads, 5900x is actually pretty cheap on the used market. You'd be better off spending money on a newer GPU even though a 6950xt is pretty quick already.

Good Luck

Feb 24, 2023
Depends how high up the ladder you want to go and how patient you are.

You could just toss in a 5800x3d and give the games a nice bump or wait
for what's coming next year.
I've thought of that also, putting in the 5800x3d then doing a new build later in 2024. That way I can see how the 8000 cpu series will mature. Something to think about for sure.

The way I've been approaching upgrades is if something stops working (or works poorly) or something new ticks the exact boxes I want. The last upgrade I did was a sidegrade so I could replace an old spare computer when I went from a 6800K to 6900K. I was originally planning to upgrade to 12th Gen Intel, but I didn't really like where they went with peak power consumption. I contemplated Zen 4, but the IHS is junk and AMD platform launches are generally more shaky than Intel so here we are I still have my 6900K.

I keep re-assessing every CPU/platform launch but just haven't seen anything compelling enough yet to make me want to spend money on a whole new platform.