[SOLVED] Upgrade Path

Feb 13, 2019
I was just wondering (weird how my last resort is random people on the internet) What I should upgrade. My ram from 16gb 4x4gb 2400mhz (OC to 2666) to 2x8gb 3000. Or a 2560x1440p 60hz monitor. Ryzen processor.

Solution
All the above are viable options. You can overclock your CPU, RAM and graphics card if need be (As long as your motherboard supports it).

Your processor supports dual channel, which means you might be better off with only two sticks of RAM, but it might not make a big difference in real world performance.

Honestly, I would spend your budget on the best monitor you can get, preferably a 1440p monitor. 1440p or 2K is the middle ground to 1080p and 4K, with better visuals than 1080p, and less performance degradation seen in 4K. Also, the RTX 2080 is an extremely powerful card, meaning, your processor is definitely bottlenecking games before it is, and upgrading to 1440p will not only help transfer the load to the graphics card, but...

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I would go with a freesync monitor, that would be a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. I just did that myself and it's was well worth the money.

I would actually argue a 1080p freesync with a higher refresh too as some older games have scaling issues and the higher refresh rates make the games feel smoother. You lose some detail by not having the higher native resolution but if you really wanted to you could probably reclaim some by going 4x DSR. This makes the game render at 4k on a 1080p monitor if you choose to do so but it's sampled back down to 1080p for the display. It won't look as good as true 4k but it will have more detail than 1080p.

All the above are viable options. You can overclock your CPU, RAM and graphics card if need be (As long as your motherboard supports it).

Your processor supports dual channel, which means you might be better off with only two sticks of RAM, but it might not make a big difference in real world performance.

Honestly, I would spend your budget on the best monitor you can get, preferably a 1440p monitor. 1440p or 2K is the middle ground to 1080p and 4K, with better visuals than 1080p, and less performance degradation seen in 4K. Also, the RTX 2080 is an extremely powerful card, meaning, your processor is definitely bottlenecking games before it is, and upgrading to 1440p will not only help transfer the load to the graphics card, but will improve your experience altogether. I recommend a 60hz freesync panel unless you plan on upgrading the processor in the future.

Solution