Upgrade pc build, new parts or no?

Haseeb Ludin

Reputable
May 5, 2014
My friend recently gifted his gpu and most of the rest of his build to his brother. Only things he kept are his hdd, ddr3 ram, cpu and motherboard. He has an old 3rd gen cpu and with it an old motherboard. Motherboard likely had problems, so that will be replaced for sure. He plans to buy a 1070, I had suggested that he also buy the i5 6600k and a new motherboard, with new ram, so as to not bottleneck the gpu. He is unsure, doesn't think it'll bottleneck it. Do you guys think it's generally worth it to do a cpu, motherboard and ram upgrade if he wants to go with the 1070?

Bonus question: any case 100 bucks Canadian or less that's particularly outstanding?

Thanks!

Solution
If he wants to go for Skylake/Kabylake he's going to need to move to DDR4. If he wants to stick to his existing platform, he's going to need to pass on the system specs for it for us to gauge how much of a bottleneck the GTX1070 will undergo. In any case, since it's already 3rd Gen, and now that we;re upon 7th Gen Core i processors, (not to mention AMD announcing their Ryzen platform this year) your friend looks like the right candidate for an upgrade.

Second answer: NZXT S340 and it goes for about 80CAD.

Lutfij

Titan
If he wants to go for Skylake/Kabylake he's going to need to move to DDR4. If he wants to stick to his existing platform, he's going to need to pass on the system specs for it for us to gauge how much of a bottleneck the GTX1070 will undergo. In any case, since it's already 3rd Gen, and now that we;re upon 7th Gen Core i processors, (not to mention AMD announcing their Ryzen platform this year) your friend looks like the right candidate for an upgrade.

Second answer: NZXT S340 and it goes for about 80CAD.

Solution