[SOLVED] Upgrade (Pre)Install Advice...Testing For DoA? Parts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
1) I'm wanting to know if there is anything I can or should do before installing everything (details below)-
a)Test for DoA?
b)Anything else?

2) What steps do you do for your builds?

3)Do you have any tips to make things go smoother?

4) Or do I just need to get everything installed in the case, power on to check for power and fans spinning then install Windows, drivers, software?

5) Anything I've missed?

FOR CONTEXT-

I have an old HP HPE-500F that I've upgraded as much as possible, adding-
  • NVIDIA GeForce 1050ti
  • Corsair CX750
  • 16GB (4x4GB) G. Skill DDR3 PC1333 RAM
  • 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD (OS)
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD (in addition to WD Green 1.5TB HDD factory installed)
Ever since the upgrade I've had issues with the BSoD (probably 20-25 times in nearly 2 years). I've just been reading up on how to figure out what's causing it, using WinDbg, but I haven't done it yet. My thoughts are the RAM or SSD, but that's just a guess.

For the upgrade (basically a new build if I can decide on a case soon) I already have sitting here-
  • Ryzen 7 2700 (w/ Wraith Spire)
  • MSI B450 Gaming Carbon Pro AC
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe
  • (3) Corsair ML120 RGB PWM Fans (might swap for 140mm for new case)
  • Speclux RGB LED Strips (will be here tomorrow)
  • Windows 10 Pro OEM (USB)
  • 40x40mm Innovative Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste (will be here tomorrow, 9/19)
My current case is a ThermalTake V3. I'm going to reassemble the HP in it (to use for something) as soon as I figure out which new case I want. In the meantime I'd like to install the new parts in my current case using the PSU and 1050ti to get everything working (make sure nothing is DOA) and see how the extra RGB wiring fits as I'm planning on adding at least 1 but possiblly 3 more fans and maybe an AIO...all with RGB.

I've found about 7 cases I'm going back and forth on, but none have everything I'm looking for. I figure installing everything in my current case will bring to my attention the priority of features needed. Who knows, I could install everything and it runs fine, or by adding 1 or 2 ML120 top exhaust fans everything stays cool (although no full side panel to see the RGB). Either way, it should help me make a decision.

I haven't overclocked before but I'm considering it, which I know for that I'll need an AIO. I don't play games- it's video streaming, editing, and CAD that is the most intense. I figured I'd try it without overclocking using the Spire cooler. No doubt it will be a great improvement over my current system.

To note- I'll probably use the WD Blue HDD temporarily or just get a Hyperx RGB SSD, I'm thinking of getting an RGB PSU at some point and in the near future I will most likely be upgrading the VGA to a Quadro P2000 (or something comparable). I first want to see how the 1050ti works with the new components.

Also to note- as far as experience I've had my computer completely apart for cleaning a number of times (other than removing the processor), so I'm comfortable with the process. I've never done or attempted a full build with having to install Windows, etc. I don't want to make things harder for myself and I especially don't want to screw anything up or ruin the motherboard, processor or anything else.

Thanks in advance for your time and input! :)

Last edited:
Solution
Q&A:

1.a. Easy, just breadboard your MoBo.
Idea is to put your MoBo to any non-conductive surface (MoBo's retail box will do fine), install CPU, CPU cooler, RAM and GPU to MoBo. Hook monitor to GPU, install PSU and it's power cables (24-pin ATX, 4/8-pin EPS12V and 6/8-pin PCI-E for GPU). Then, power on the system (by shorting the power + and - pins on MoBo with screwdriver). For more convenient power-on, hook PC case's front I/O cables as well. Don't forget to hook up KB and mouse as well.
Here's how it looks like:
My Skylake build breadboard when i bought it, full specs with pics in my sig.
Note: Since i have Intel build where CPU has on-board graphics, i didn't need to install dedicated GPU...

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Wow, I thought I replied saying everything was working and looks ood but I never hit Post Reply. :-/

I installed Windows and everything was working fine. I was in BIOS to adjust RAM because it was initially at 2133mhz.

After a successful boot at 3066mhz I tried but it wouldn't boot at 3200 so I turned off the power and then unplugged the PSU. I thought I reset CMOS but when I plugged it back in and entered BIOS the A-XMP was still enabled and 3200mhz was still set, which is weird because it wouldn't go into BIOS the previous two times I restarted before unplugging the PSU.

So I restarted, entered BIOS and tried 3133mhz and it wouldn't boot, so I powered off and unplugged the PSU and this time succeeded in resetting CMOS. I enabled A-XMP and set the frequency at 3066mhz (which booted fine earlier) and changed the boot drive (M.2 SSD) from where it was at #10 to #1.

I restarted and it boots but gets stuck at the MSI logo screen (enabled in BIOS). I'm not sure why. I didn't have to set the boot disk previously because when I installed Windows it automatically set it, but I'm not sure what was changed.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Wow, I thought I replied saying everything was working and looks ood but I never hit Post Reply. :-/

I installed Windows and everything was working fine. I was in BIOS to adjust RAM because it was initially at 2133mhz.

After a successful boot at 3066mhz I tried but it wouldn't boot at 3200 so I turned off the power and then unplugged the PSU. I thought I reset CMOS but when I plugged it back in and entered BIOS the A-XMP was still enabled and 3200mhz was still set, which is weird because it wouldn't go into BIOS the previous two times I restarted before unplugging the PSU.

So I restarted, entered BIOS and tried 3133mhz and it wouldn't boot, so I powered off and unplugged the PSU and this time succeeded in resetting CMOS. I enabled A-XMP and set the frequency at 3066mhz (which booted fine earlier) and changed the boot drive (M.2 SSD) from where it was at #10 to #1.

I restarted and it boots but gets stuck at the MSI logo screen (enabled in BIOS). I'm not sure why. I didn't have to set the boot disk previously because when I installed Windows it automatically set it, but I'm not sure what was changed.
Here, i suggest that you make a new topic about your boot issues in Systems subforum. There are several reasons why making a 2nd topic is good idea:
  • more eyes would be looking at your issue
  • it wouldn't derail this topic which talks about PC hardware and assembly steps
  • this topic is solved and other members won't be looking into it, making me only one who's active in it
  • you'd have separate topic concentrated for troubleshooting alone

Few tips on making a new topic:
  • list full system specs, including PSU make and model
  • list all the steps you've done so far, in chronological order (e.g breadboarding, RAM XMP, Win install etc)
  • list all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, again, in chronological order (e.g clearing CMOS, boot order change etc)

As far as RAM speeds go on Ryzen CPUs, following ones are default: 2133/2400/2667/2933 Mhz. Also, i've seen 3200 Mhz working just fine with Ryzen CPUs. However, 3066 Mhz and 3133 Mhz are oddballs and can (and most likely will) cause issues. So, 1st try to get the RAM working at default speed and then go on from there.

TimH77

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Here, i suggest that you make a new topic about your boot issues in Systems subforum. There are several reasons why making a 2nd topic is good idea:
  • more eyes would be looking at your issue
  • it wouldn't derail this topic which talks about PC hardware and assembly steps
  • this topic is solved and other members won't be looking into it, making me only one who's active in it
  • you'd have separate topic concentrated for troubleshooting alone
Few tips on making a new topic:
  • list full system specs, including PSU make and model
  • list all the steps you've done so far, in chronological order (e.g breadboarding, RAM XMP, Win install etc)
  • list all the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far, again, in chronological order (e.g clearing CMOS, boot order change etc)
As far as RAM speeds go on Ryzen CPUs, following ones are default: 2133/2400/2667/2933 Mhz. Also, i've seen 3200 Mhz working just fine with Ryzen CPUs. However, 3066 Mhz and 3133 Mhz are oddballs and can (and most likely will) cause issues. So, 1st try to get the RAM working at default speed and then go on from there.

Yes, I did make a new post on the topic before sending that reply. I copied what I last posted (current issue) because you and I had talked about thr memory but I also added a reply to your message.

Thanks again for all your help and input!