[SOLVED] Upgrade question from intel to Ryzen.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I want to upgrade my current system from this:
CPU: i5 6600k
MB: Z170 MSI Gaming 5
GPU: MSI R9 390
Mem: 2x8 Gskill TridentZ ddr4 2400
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=H4Zp99

To this:
Ryzen 7 3700x - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - Corsair 16gb Vengeance
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=BFFy4D
Would this be a good upgrade? I am going to use most of my current parts, would the R9 390 have any problems for this newer build? until I can save up for a GPU upgrade later on?
At first I was thinking of just a GPU upgrade gtx 2060 or 5700xt but it could bottleneck with the i5 6600k, so I thought instead of spending $400+ for a new GPU, I could spend a little over $500 on new Ryzen 7, MB, and Ram instead.

Solution
If you're gaming, then the GPU is a more valuable upgrade, but if you're working, then the CPU is the more valuable upgrade.
I was thinking the same thing, update the GPU first and then then system. I'm thinking there will be more games limited by the old GPU then the CPU
I want to upgrade my current system from this:
CPU: i5 6600k
MB: Z170 MSI Gaming 5
GPU: MSI R9 390
Mem: 2x8 Gskill TridentZ ddr4 2400
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=H4Zp99

To this:
Ryzen 7 3700x - MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - Corsair 16gb Vengeance
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=BFFy4D
Would this be a good upgrade? I am going to use most of my current parts, would the R9 390 have any problems for this newer build? until I can save up for a GPU upgrade later on?
At first I was thinking of just a GPU upgrade gtx 2060 or 5700xt but it could bottleneck with the i5 6600k, so I thought instead of spending $400+ for a new GPU, I could spend a little over $500 on new Ryzen 7, MB, and Ram instead.
Yes, night and day upgrade. You'll be amazed.

Apr 30, 2020
Only thing I see you benefiting from is the CPU upgrade. We really need to know what your going to use it for, and what is your budget.

As far as "does stuff work together" you just need to go to the manufactures website and see if the items are compatible. Can't do all that research for you.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Only thing I see you benefiting from is the CPU upgrade. We really need to know what your going to use it for, and what is your budget.

As far as "does stuff work together" you just need to go to the manufactures website and see if the items are compatible. Can't do all that research for you.
Well I do alot of graphic logos for Heavy Metal bands in Photoshop, I play games like Skyrim (modded), The Witcher, Borderlands 3, Doom Eternal, etc.., I burn classic movies, Yeah I have been doing alot of research, maybe Ryzen 7 3700x maybe too much, my budget is around $550, I just thought that instead of upgrading my R9 390 for a 5700xt at $400+ which could bottleneck on the i5 6600k, I could instead upgrade the CPU,MB and Ram instead, maybe money better spent instead of the a new GPU, Maybe instead of Ryzen 7 3700x I could get a Ryzen 5 3600x and save $100, I just thought why not get a Ryzen 7. plus I would appreciate your opinion/ thoughts I don't expect you to do research for me, just an honest opinion, I have built around 5 PCs over time. I may or may not overclock, just like to know if that R9 390 would work out on that new upgrade, I am gaming at 1080p 144hz monitor, Here is my set up now https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=H4Zp99 which I built back in 2016, and I want to upgrade to this, of coarse I will be re-using alot of the my current parts, to the new upgrade https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=BFFy4D

Last edited:
You can get some decent performance increase by upgrading a GPU, but depending on what you get, it could be bottle necked by the CPU. If you upgrade the CPU, the GPU will not get faster, but not slower either. No matter what you upgrade first, you wont loose any performance over what you have now. However, you might benefit more from a GPU upgrade first. However, the Ryzen 7 is a great upgrade over what you have now, especially since you do productivity tasks.

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
You can get some decent performance increase by upgrading a GPU, but depending on what you get, it could be bottle necked by the CPU. If you upgrade the CPU, the GPU will not get faster, but not slower either. No matter what you upgrade first, you wont loose any performance over what you have now. However, you might benefit more from a GPU upgrade first. However, the Ryzen 7 is a great upgrade over what you have now, especially since you do productivity tasks.
Well according to Bottleneck Calculator If I upgrade my i5 6600k with a 5700xt gpu or even a Rx 580 which the Rx 580 is not much better than my R9 390 Bottleneck calculator says my I5 6600k is to weak for those GPUs, even a gtx 1660 which I wouldn't buy, and if I upgrade the cpu to a Ryzen 5 3600x or the Ryzen 7 3700x Bottleneck Calculator says my R9 390 is too weak, but I do plan on upgrading the R9 in time if I upgrade the CPU to the Ryzen 5 or 7, I feel like I could still game at decent FPS in the mean time with the R9 390 till I can afford a new GPU, seems to make more sense to spend $550 on a CPU,MB and Ram upgrade now, than to spend $300 to $400 on a GPU that will Bottleneck with the i5 6600k, but I'm not relying on the calculator on my decision, I do appreciate your/y'alls opinions.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't even bother with Bottleneck Calculator, it's complete garbage and has Zero basis in reality. It's a gimmick that vendors use to trick the unwary into thinking they need upgrades.

While you are at it, throw out any preconceived notions of bottleneck, that's bs too.

The cpu is what it is. It pre-renders all the frames according to the game code design. It'll pre-render only so many frames a second. Those frames get sent to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to resolution, detail settings and post-processing affects. At no time does one affect the other, each has seperate jobs.

So let's say the cpu can pre-render 100fps. That gets sent to the gpu. The gpu takes those frames and finishes them at 1080p ultra and yet has power enough to do more, you get 100fps on screen as that's the limit of what the cpu can send. Most ppl call that a cpu bottlenecking the gpu, but it's not, it's just that one game the gpu is under-utilized. Changing settings does little to nothing in this case, you can't put on screen more than the cpu can give.

Or a different game the cpu can do 200fps, the gpu at 1080p ultra can only on-screen 150fps. Lower settings raises the on-screen fps but still will not exceed the 200fps cap from the cpu. Most say this is the gpu bottlenecking the cpu. It's not, it's the detail settings beyond the ability of the gpu to reproduce as many as the cpu can send.

Both at 1080p. Change that to 1440p which has 1.7x as many pixels to populate vs 1080p and the results change as the gpu now has to work considerably harder. 4k is worse, there's less cpu need for high fps and more gpu power needed to reproduce frames.

The cpu doesn't slow the gpu down, nor does the gpu slow a cpu down. They both work at 100% ability, the only difference being just how much resources the game code demands that get used. Not the same thing.

So a stronger gpu can increase fps, but it's just playing 'catch-up' to what the cpu can output. A stronger cpu can increase the original output allowing for a higher fps ceiling a gpu has to work with.

Moving to a 5700xt might get you higher fps in some games, but that's only because the 6600k can give the frames to the gpu. Or moving to a 5700xt can do nothing if the 6600k is capped at a lower rate by the game code and your current gpu isn't fully utilized.

Bottleneck calculator takes inputted gaming statistics from multiple games. You supply a gpu, it takes that series of results. You give it a cpu, and it tells you that you are bottlenecking because there's stronger cpus around that have higher levels of pre-rendered frames. It's a bunch of horse manure. Fps changes from game to game, resolutions, detail levels, post-processing like hairworks or ray tracing etc. Bottleneck calculator is an averaging of multiple games based on its settings, not yours.

I'd really like to know how a i5-6600k, capable of over 300fps in CSGO, could be considered a bottleneck. Does that mean the gpu is capable of far more than 300fps? And you have what monitor that'll handle that kind of output? So what if you only get 80fps on BF1, that's more on the gpu than cpu. Oh wait, multi-player boss fight will change that due to AI demands, fps drops due to massive cpu loading. Does that mean the cpu is now bottlenecking the gpu when 2 minutes ago it was the other way around?

Last edited:

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Don't even bother with Bottleneck Calculator, it's complete garbage and has Zero basis in reality. It's a gimmick that vendors use to trick the unwary into thinking they need upgrades.

While you are at it, throw out any preconceived notions of bottleneck, that's bs too.

The cpu is what it is. It pre-renders all the frames according to the game code design. It'll pre-render only so many frames a second. Those frames get sent to the gpu which finish renders the frames according to resolution, detail settings and post-processing affects. At no time does one affect the other, each has seperate jobs.

So let's say the cpu can pre-render 100fps. That gets sent to the gpu. The gpu takes those frames and finishes them at 1080p ultra and yet has power enough to do more, you get 100fps on screen as that's the limit of what the cpu can send. Most ppl call that a cpu bottlenecking the gpu, but it's not, it's just that one game the gpu is under-utilized. Changing settings does little to nothing in this case, you can't put on screen more than the cpu can give.

Or a different game the cpu can do 200fps, the gpu at 1080p ultra can only on-screen 150fps. Lower settings raises the on-screen fps but still will not exceed the 200fps cap from the cpu. Most say this is the gpu bottlenecking the cpu. It's not, it's the detail settings beyond the ability of the gpu to reproduce as many as the cpu can send.

Both at 1080p. Change that to 1440p which has 1.7x as many pixels to populate vs 1080p and the results change as the gpu now has to work considerably harder. 4k is worse, there's less cpu need for high fps and more gpu power needed to reproduce frames.

The cpu doesn't slow the gpu down, nor does the gpu slow a cpu down. They both work at 100% ability, the only difference being just how much resources the game code demands that get used. Not the same thing.

So a stronger gpu can increase fps, but it's just playing 'catch-up' to what the cpu can output. A stronger cpu can increase the original output allowing for a higher fps ceiling a gpu has to work with.

Moving to a 5700xt might get you higher fps in some games, but that's only because the 6600k can give the frames to the gpu. Or moving to a 5700xt can do nothing if the 6600k is capped at a lower rate by the game code and your current gpu isn't fully utilized.

Bottleneck calculator takes inputted gaming statistics from multiple games. You supply a gpu, it takes that series of results. You give it a cpu, and it tells you that you are bottlenecking because there's stronger cpus around that have higher levels of pre-rendered frames. It's a bunch of horse manure. Fps changes from game to game, resolutions, detail levels, post-processing like hairworks or ray tracing etc. Bottleneck calculator is an averaging of multiple games based on its settings, not yours.

I'd really like to know how a i5-6600k, capable of over 300fps in CSGO, could be considered a bottleneck. Does that mean the gpu is capable of far more than 300fps? And you have what monitor that'll handle that kind of output? So what if you only get 80fps on BF1, that's more on the gpu than cpu. Oh wait, multi-player boss fight will change that due to AI demands, fps drops due to massive cpu loading. Does that mean the cpu is now bottlenecking the gpu when 2 minutes ago it was the other way around?
Thank You for the great detailed explanation, very helpful.

Last edited:

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
the 6600K, with but 4 threads, has likely already been a limiting factor in some of the low framerates when the GPU was not....

Once getting a 3700X, at some point you will want a DDR4-3600 MHz RAM kit....

You can decide when you feel the R9-390 is no longer cutting it...
Yes I plan on DDR4 3200 or DDR4 3600, Here is my PC build now, and the upgrade plan:
NOW : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=H4Zp99
AFTER: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/YrOfDrgn64/saved/#view=BFFy4D
Everything from the Seagate 2tb HD down on the list will stay on the new build, and will upgrade GPU in time.