[SOLVED] Upgrade Question

Jan 3, 2020
I currently have a decent pc rig, but i'm curious to ask the upgrade i'm planning to do in a week is really worth it, i'm thinking of changing my current GPU (GTX 1080) for a RTX 2070

Specs
Ryzen 7 2700
GTX 1080
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB at 2666 mhz
1 TB Western Digital HDD

Thanks

Solution
I currently have a decent pc rig, but i'm curious to ask the upgrade i'm planning to do in a week is really worth it, i'm thinking of changing my current GPU (GTX 1080) for a RTX 2070

Specs
Ryzen 7 2700
GTX 1080
1 TB Western Digital HDD

Thanks
Have a look at this GPU hierarchy list. The 2070 is only a couple spots above the 1080.
GPU Hierarchy 2020

Specs
Ryzen 7 2700
GTX 1080
1 TB Western Digital HDD

Thanks
Have a look at this GPU hierarchy list. The 2070 is only a couple spots above the 1080.
GPU Hierarchy 2020

Reactions: Jdsm_
Solution
Jan 3, 2020
Is the 1080 not meeting your expectations? It's a solid GPU. Also, it depends on what resolution you are playing at now and what resolution and refresh rate you will play at after upgrading. If you're at 1080p you should be good with the GTX 1080.
Thanks for you your reply, i mean, i don't really force my components at all, you might be like ''why the f*** is this kid asking this question'' after i tell you at what resolution i play in but i always like to have the newest things lol
i do play a 1080p at 60 fps Vsynced from the Nvidia Control panel lol, so i'm constantly at 60 fps to reduce my temps

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020
Don't get caught in the upgrade hype, only reason I would do it, is so I could sell the older card at a decent price and recoup some of my money.

Most "upgrades" are only 10-15% more power, so if your hypothetically maxing out at 80fpsis another 10 frames aka 90 fps worth the money? Since you only running 60fps they its a moot point for you if your already maxed out. Other thing would be warranty period, do you want you card always under warranty.

i mean, i don't really force my components at all, you might be like why the f*** is this kid asking this question after i tell you at what resolution i play in but i always like to have the newest things lol
i do play a 1080p at 60 fps Vsynced from the Nvidia Control panel lol, so i'm constantly at 60 fps to reduce my temps
An RTX 2070 SUPER would be worth the money but you'd want to pair it with a 144hz. monitor. It could even do 1440p if you want to go that route. If you're staying at 1080p 60hz. there's really no reason to upgrade.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and Jdsm_
Jan 3, 2020
Don't get caught in the upgrade hype, only reason I would do it, is so I could sell the older card at a decent price and recoup some of my money.

Most "upgrades" are only 10-15% more power, so if your hypothetically maxing out at 80fpsis another 10 frames aka 90 fps worth the money? Since you only running 60fps they its a moot point for you if your already maxed out. Other thing would be warranty period, do you want you card always under warranty.
Thank for your reply, noteing ''i don't really need an upgrade'', do you find any flaws in my system or things i can add to the rig, forgot to mention the PSU but it is a Cooler Master 550w.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2020
An RTX 2070 SUPER would be worth the money but you'd want to pair it with a 144hz. monitor. It could even do 1440p if you want to go that route. If you're staying at 1080p 60hz. there's really no reason to upgrade.
Thank for your reply, noteing ''i don't really need an upgrade'', do you find any flaws in my system or things i can add to the rig, forgot to mention the PSU but it is a Cooler Master 550w.

Thanks

Thanks
An SSD would be a nice upgrade to your system. You'd want to put a fresh install of windows on it. Cooler Master are not known for making the best power supplies. What model 550W is it? What brand and model motherboard do you have?

Jan 3, 2020
An SSD would be a nice upgrade to your system. You'd want to put a fresh install of windows on it. Cooler Master are not known for making the best power supplies. What model 550W is it? What brand and model motherboard do you have?
Thanks for you reply, would have to get back on the model of the PSU, but the Board on the other hand is something i'm going to upgrade next week, i do have a Gigabyte A320M-S2, a buddy of mine also recommended not an ssd but a m.2 or a nvme

Thanks for you reply, would have to get back on the model of the PSU, but the Board on the other hand is something i'm going to upgrade next week, i do have a Gigabyte A320M-S2, a buddy of mine also recommended not an ssd but a m.2 or a nvme
Yes, an m.2 NVME is a type of SSD. It attaches directly to the motherboard and they're very fast. If you'll upgrade the board go with a B450. You don't really need an X570 board unless you have a specific need for PCIe 4.0.