Sep 26, 2020
Hi all,

My current setup

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
8GB RAM
Gigabyte B150M-D3H-CF Motherboard
500W Zalman PSU

Have had this PC for a little while now and wanting to upgrade couple things. Mainly for gaming FPS & MMOs.
With this motherboard can i put a GTX 1660 or higher video card in it? and can I put 16GB into this motherboard also?
Is there any point to this with my current setup or just get a new setup? Would i need a better PSU for a GTX 1660 and higher?

Thanks for your time.

Solution
you can go up to 64 gb of ram. so 32 gb is no problem. i'd go for a 2 x 16 gb kit rather than a 4 x 8 gb one. lot less problems with only 2 sticks vs 4.

the gpu will work fine on the mobo as well. no problem there. be sure your psu has the connectors to power it. 500w is not a lot and from a low end unit, it may not have but a single connection.

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Yes, yes and sort of.

Your cpu is alright for gaming, but it's pretty apparent that in the next 2 years or so, 6 cores will become the minimum and 4 cores will be a B-tier gaming experience as more games support more multithreading.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Cheers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can go up to 64 gb of ram. so 32 gb is no problem. i'd go for a 2 x 16 gb kit rather than a 4 x 8 gb one. lot less problems with only 2 sticks vs 4.

the gpu will work fine on the mobo as well. no problem there. be sure your psu has the connectors to power it. 500w is not a lot and from a low end unit, it may not have but a single connection.

Reactions: Aevas
Solution

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020

Awesome, good to know.

Will definitely check out the PSU, might replace that too since it's on the low end.

Its funny because I went and found the boxes that the computer came with (pre-built) from around 4-5 years ago and the PSU box is a Seasonic 650w. I was trying to find out what PSU I had before this by looking inside my PC but man what a mission, its inside this metal/steel casing which also houses the SDD that it came with. Anyway there was a little hole which I could stick my phone in to take a photo and it stated on the PSU 500w Zolman..but couldn't see the rest. Scammed..lol

With my mobo are you able to tell me do I use DDR3 or DDR4? sorry.

Thanks.

Sorry another question.

Regarding the RAM how it supports 2133MHz, most the RAM I'm looking at says for example 3200MHz. Can I still use these and it will run at 2133MHz max or?

Excuse my noob question.
You could try using higher speced memory, but when 6th gen was out and b150 was the norm, the highest most people actually had was 2666.

you could try tinkering with it in the bios, but it won't be much of a benefit anyway.

The reason I would still recommend you to get a 3200mhz kit, is because the price difference is very small and you can take the new ram to your future computer.

Reactions: Aevas

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
You could try using higher speced memory, but when 6th gen was out and b150 was the norm, the highest most people actually had was 2666.

you could try tinkering with it in the bios, but it won't be much of a benefit anyway.

The reason I would still recommend you to get a 3200mhz kit, is because the price difference is very small and you can take the new ram to your future computer.
I see, makes sense.

Yeah the prices are good and that's a good idea about thinking of future upgrades.

Thanks for your input
Cheers :)

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020

Regarding wanting to upgrade to a GTX 1660 Super, with my current PSU and video card GTX 1060, it uses a 6pin connector if that's right but a 1660 requires a 8pin connector. So i have to check if my PSU has that correct?

I hope I'm correct in explaining my PSU because I couldn't really see it properly and there's no other sticker or anything. Its inside this casing. I could only get this view of it below. So this is definitely a Zalman 500w?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
honestly need to see the full label of the psu for the model number to know for sure what it is. companies make some great psu's, while they also make some junk models. so knowing the brand is not enough info.

either way you should at least be able to see what power connections it has. the 1660 models all use an 8-pin, you are right there. the 1650 super is only a 6-pin and not much weaker.

but honestly if you are going to invest in a quality gpu, a quality psu should also be used to power it. since clearly you wish to make a good gaming rig, you should invest in a quality psu. i know they are costly right now but there are some decent buys to be had if you look closely.

i don't know what country you are in but with that info we can easily offer some quality options for a decent psu. i recently built a completely new pc and had to settle on the psu, but i still got a good unit despite it not being in my top few choices. i know supply is real low and prices are up :(

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
honestly need to see the full label of the psu for the model number to know for sure what it is. companies make some great psu's, while they also make some junk models. so knowing the brand is not enough info.

either way you should at least be able to see what power connections it has. the 1660 models all use an 8-pin, you are right there. the 1650 super is only a 6-pin and not much weaker.

but honestly if you are going to invest in a quality gpu, a quality psu should also be used to power it. since clearly you wish to make a good gaming rig, you should invest in a quality psu. i know they are costly right now but there are some decent buys to be had if you look closely.

i don't know what country you are in but with that info we can easily offer some quality options for a decent psu. i recently built a completely new pc and had to settle on the psu, but i still got a good unit despite it not being in my top few choices. i know supply is real low and prices are up :(
Yeah the only way I can see it would be to take apart the whole thing. So might have to do that anyway if getting a PSU upgrade.

Thanks for the GPU suggestion.

Definitely makes sense regarding the PSU, I live in New Zealand and yeah there's so many PSU wow I have no idea hehe. Prices and supply are all over the place due to the pandemic I guess huh

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Thanks alot.

Main places are:

pbtech.co.nz
computerlounge.co.nz

Pbtech is pretty much the biggest shop here for all computer goods etc with mostly the best prices (usually)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this one looks good on the budget end. but it is not modular so that saves on cost.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG11600/EVGA-600-GD-600W-80-Gold-Power-supply--5-year-limi

for modular unit of same quality

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG121600/EVGA-600-GQ-600W-80-Gold-Semi-Modular-Power-supply

that's about as cheap as i'd go from their selection. best case to me if you can swing it would be the RM 650 fully modular but it is a good bit more costly

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCOR71650/Corsair-RM-Series-RM650-650W---80-Plus-Gold---Full

Aevas

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
this one looks good on the budget end. but it is not modular so that saves on cost.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG11600/EVGA-600-GD-600W-80-Gold-Power-supply--5-year-limi

for modular unit of same quality

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUEVG121600/EVGA-600-GQ-600W-80-Gold-Semi-Modular-Power-supply

that's about as cheap as i'd go from their selection. best case to me if you can swing it would be the RM 650 fully modular but it is a good bit more costly

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PSUCOR71650/Corsair-RM-Series-RM650-650W---80-Plus-Gold---Full
Cool, thanks for your suggestions.

Appreciate all your help Maths Geek.

Cheers