Question Upgrade question

May 12, 2024
What is the point of upgrading from a B450 to a B550. I have a family member who has an 8yr old PC that's isn't doing the best right now and they want a more high end PC and I'm thinking R7 5800X and I want to go B550 because it's higher end with a higher end CPU so I'm just wondering why go B550 and not 450

Lutfij

Titan
You get to run DDR4-3600MHz ram, pair with a Ryzen 5000 series processor sans a BIOS update. You can flash the BIOS to the latest version and then just drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor onto the socket.

On second thoughts, please list your current system specs like so;
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

May 12, 2024
You get to run DDR4-3600MHz ram, pair with a Ryzen 5000 series processor sans a BIOS update. You can flash the BIOS to the latest version and then just drop in a Ryzen 5000 series processor onto the socket.

On second thoughts, please list your current system specs like so;
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
Thanks. The current system specs are an I7 7700, I don't know what cooler, mobo from Dell, 32gb 2400, Kingfast F10 (getting replaced by a Team group T-Force Vulcan Z 1tb) and an Intel M.2 and Intel HD graphics, no idea what PSU, chassis is from Dell, and runs Windows 10. The PC itself is a Dell optiplex 7050

Thanks. The current system specs are an I7 7700, I don't know what cooler, mobo from Dell, 32gb 2400, Kingfast F10 (getting replaced by a Team group T-Force Vulcan Z 1tb) and an Intel M.2 and Intel HD graphics, no idea what PSU, chassis is from Dell, and runs Windows 10. The PC itself is a Dell optiplex 7050
I doubt he'd be able to use much of that Dell PC to upgrade to Ryzen. Maybe GPU and disks. Dell mostly uses non standard components including PSU.
Cooler would be impossible to use on Ryzen, (different socket and mounting) , That PC uses DDR3 and Ryzen DDR4. Front panel (buttons and lights) will have to be modified or changed. Even MB mounting in case is a big question.
That Ryzen doesn't have an IGPU so a dedicated GPU would also be needed.
All together, building all new system is practically only option.

May 12, 2024
I doubt he'd be able to use much of that Dell PC to upgrade to Ryzen. Maybe GPU and disks. Dell mostly uses non standard components including PSU.
Cooler would be impossible to use on Ryzen, (different socket and mounting) , That PC uses DDR3 and Ryzen DDR4. Front panel (buttons and lights) will have to be modified or changed. Even MB mounting in case is a big question.
That Ryzen doesn't have an IGPU so a dedicated GPU would also be needed.
All together, building all new system is practically only option.
That's what we did because I knew that PC didn't have much customization especially with it's 180W PSU.
Went with a R7 5800X
32gb 3200
B550M
1tb SATA
3050 8Gb
Powerspec 650W 80+ bronze