[SOLVED] Upgrade R9 290X to Vega 56?

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
Want to know if I should upgrade from my XFX R9 290X DD to 2nd hand XFX Vega 56 DD ($200 with few months warranty left) since I've got a FreeSync monitor?
Or would you suggest Palit GTX 1070 Dual for $170 with 1 yr warranty left?

System:
Ryzen 5 3600 with Phanteks PH-TC12DX
MSI B450M Mortar
2x4GB 2666MHz (yes, I'll be upgrading them to 16GB 3200MHz sometime soon)
Adata SX8200 512GB NVME
NZXT H400 with 3 fans
Seasonic M12ii 750W Evo

Solution
I'd take the Vega 56 - not a reference design, it's good. Politics aside, it's on average faster than 1070 in games and with some tinkering (proper low voltages) it can become an excellent card. The driver's OSD is a pleasure to use.
I don't understand your accent on warranty. They didn't die yet and won't for another couple years for sure :D

FreeSync: nVidia kinda sorta allowed enabling of frame synchronisation on FreeSync displays, after milking their customers.

RAM: Upgrade to 2x8GB=16GB so you still have room for 32GB for later.

VADemon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
I'd take the Vega 56 - not a reference design, it's good. Politics aside, it's on average faster than 1070 in games and with some tinkering (proper low voltages) it can become an excellent card. The driver's OSD is a pleasure to use.
I don't understand your accent on warranty. They didn't die yet and won't for another couple years for sure :D

FreeSync: nVidia kinda sorta allowed enabling of frame synchronisation on FreeSync displays, after milking their customers.

Reactions: WhoIsJOB
Solution

WhoIsJOB

Reputable
Mar 9, 2016
N
I will check price of RX 5700.

Decided to pass on the deal (guy has it up for sale @$170 atm), cause that thing is really ugly and not much better than the reference card (except with thermals and better noise).

Not going to be gaming much till end of October (end exams for my honors degree), so I'm rather going to save money and see what gpu prices are like in November.

Thanks for the advice, though. But I thought it through.