[SOLVED] Upgrade Recommendation for existing i7 6700K and GTX 1080?

May 23, 2020
Hello, i'm planning on upgrading my PC System any time soon and wanted to get some recommendation about the components.
I currently have:

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
I7 6700K
GTX 1080
16GB DDR4 RAM
Kraken x62 Cooling
650W PSU

I often play shooters so my goal would be 1080p 144hz gaming and the newest Singleplayer games (Espacially RPG's) at atleast 60FPS, but it seems like my components arent strong enough anymore for that. I get around 100fps on Modern Warfare Warzone on lowest settings and i dont even know if thats normal. ( I have my CPU overclocked to 4.5ghz)

I also feel like the i7 6700k wont be strong enough for the future, i dont know if the 1080 will be fine, i think so at least... I dont know if i should choose an AMD or Intel aswell..

So that's why im asking for help.
Budget would be at around 600.
I dont know if that would change anything, but i have those components for 2-3 years now.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
That is strangely low fps.
i have an i7 8700k, and the same gpu and get the same fps at high settings, at 1440p.

unless you enabled rtx, that shouldn't be your fps. (yes, you can enable rtx on the 1080)
try checking if its disabled.

also, in most games, the gpu is whats gonna bottleneck you, not the cpu.
getting a new cpu would also warrent a new motherboard.

a new cpu and motherboard will probably not make your fps higher, but will give you a bigger path to upgrade other components to in the future.

The rtx 3000 series will launch soon, probably in September, so i would wait till then.
also, if you actually want to upgrade your pc, i would probably suggest waiting on a cpu mobo upgrade, since your cpu is good enough today, and in...
i have an i7 8700k, and the same gpu and get the same fps at high settings, at 1440p.

unless you enabled rtx, that shouldn't be your fps. (yes, you can enable rtx on the 1080)

a new cpu and motherboard will probably not make your fps higher, but will give you a bigger path to upgrade other components to in the future.

The rtx 3000 series will launch soon, probably in September, so i would wait till then.
also, if you actually want to upgrade your pc, i would probably suggest waiting on a cpu mobo upgrade, since your cpu is good enough today, and in around 1.5-2 years, when ryzen 5th gen launches, ddr5 will be around, which would warrent another motherboard, ram and cpu swap.

and for now, atleast for gaming, a new gpu will be a bigger upgrade.
so i would go for that

Solution
May 23, 2020

also, if you actually want to upgrade your pc, i would probably suggest waiting on a cpu mobo upgrade, since your cpu is good enough today, and in around 1.5-2 years, when ryzen 5th gen launches, ddr5 will be around, which would warrent another motherboard, ram and cpu swap.

and for now, atleast for gaming, a new gpu will be a bigger upgrade.
so i would go for that
Thanks i will think about that!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu pre-renders all the frames. It sets a hard limit on fps. Those frames get sent to the gpu for finishing and painting on the screen according to detail levels and resolution.

So if a cpu can pre-render 100fps, that's what the gpu receives. If the gpu is strong enough to put all 100fps on screen at ultra, lowering settings will not increase fps as its a hard limit set by the cpu.

If the gpu isn't strong enough for ultra, only puts out 60fps, then lowering settings can raise the output, maybe 80 at medium and 100 at low, but still cannot exceed the 100fps cap.

So if MW is getting 100fps at low, bump that to ultra. If the fps really doesn't change much then you are capped by the cpu. So look for stuff like Xbox DVR or game helper (disable both), online game optimization settings or tweaks for cpus.

If fps drops dramatically then you have a gpu issue. Either drivers, post processing affects, not strong enough etc. So look for settings tweaks, DLSS enable, Ray tracing disable, DSR settings in GeForce Experience disable etc.

Could you really call that a upgrade though? Could u explain whats gonna be better?
mOaR Many = MoAr FpS

thats the jist of it.
sorry.
anyway, you will get more fps, and unlock less fps killing rtx support.

also, again check as i said about ray tracing in your game to see if fps improves.
as @Karadjgne said, it could also be that you can bump up settings with not fps loss.

And as i said, upgrading to anything but an rtx 2080 ti when the rtx 3000 series is around the corner would be probably a bad idea.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. Historically nvidia has moved down but equal in power with every gen release.

A 970 is roughly the same as a 1060, and would be the same as a 2050 or 3040...

But that applies on top too. A 2080 is roughly a 1080ti, a 2070 and 1080 bang heads etc.

So a 2070 Super will be somewhere around a 3060 - 3070 level card, which is plenty for 1440p/144Hz. The only reason to go for a 2080ti or 3080 will be for 4k gaming. You'll be using a 3040-3060 for 1080p. Which will be far more expensive than a 2060 Super-2070 Super.

Even today, a 1080ti bumps heads with a 5700xt and 2070, so moving way up on the scale and dropping $1k on a graphics card is totally pointless unless you have a need to do such.