[SOLVED] Upgrade/Repair Options for ASUS G75VM Laptop

Dec 30, 2019
Hello, I recently bought an ASUS ROG G75VM Laptop and aside from a few issues, it looks good.

The issues are the battery is bad, so the mains has to be connected, and the card readers don't work.

I've found a replacement battery on eBay, but am confused as to which to get as some read 4400 and others 5200. Are they actually all the same capacity? And is there anything aftermarket with more capacity that can be bought?

It has 16gb RAM which I read was its maximum, so can't do anything there.

If the things like the USB slots, power plug, etc go buggy can I take them in to a computer place to have them replaced, or is desoldering/resoldering pieces onto the boards not done by those guys?

The CPU is what it came with, the i7-3610qm, I think. Could this be upgraded and what to?

The laptop is a pet project, so I am interested in doing it up rather than buying a new one.

Is there anything else, fans, heatsinks,etc that could be upgraded?

Lastly, the laptops a bit weighty, can anything be done about it? What makes it so heavy?

Solution
There will be stock replacements, which I believe should be 5200 mAh, and there will be aftermarket that'll vary.
The higher the better, generally - but depending on price. The laptop is never going to have phenomenal battery life regardless.

Power barrel jack, yes, can typically be replaced pretty easily. USB etc is unlikely to go "bad", and if they do, is usually a sign of an underlying problem. If it's just the connector, yes, those are relatively easy to fix... not necessarily cheap if you're paying a third party to so do though.

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VW/specifications/

Yes, 16GB is the max. While that's for...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There will be stock replacements, which I believe should be 5200 mAh, and there will be aftermarket that'll vary.
The higher the better, generally - but depending on price. The laptop is never going to have phenomenal battery life regardless.

Power barrel jack, yes, can typically be replaced pretty easily. USB etc is unlikely to go "bad", and if they do, is usually a sign of an underlying problem. If it's just the connector, yes, those are relatively easy to fix... not necessarily cheap if you're paying a third party to so do though.

DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 GB SDRAM
https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G75VW/specifications/

Yes, 16GB is the max. While that's for the VW, it's just a region variant of the "V".... and you have the VM.

The CPU is what it came with, the i7-3610qm, I think. Could this be upgraded and what to?

i7-3610qm is socketed, so the laptop could be 'upgraded'.... but the only other CPU the laptop supports is an i7 3720QM , which nets you +300Mhz is base and boost clocks. Not worth it, even slightly.

Lastly, the laptops a bit weighty, can anything be done about it? What makes it so heavy?

Nature of the beast, unfortunately. For the era, the required cooling, battery capacity & storage configuration, the laptop needs to be what it is. Even in 'gaming' laptops, manufacturers make things as thin/light as possible, which retaining cooling ability & performance. For a gaming laptop with a discreet GPU in IvyBridge era (mid-2012), pushing 9lbs is to be expected.

Solution
Dec 30, 2019
Ok thanks for all the information.

Another query : Can an eGPU work with this laptop? And the OS will be Windows 7 Ultimate, so would it work with it?

Also, I found this :

Is this my one or a different model? Just curious as they talk about the i7-3840qm as the max it can take.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Windows 7 will work fine, as will Windows 10 given the era of the laptop.

An eGPU.... not in the sense of thunderbolt etc, obviously.
Some of the older 'hacks', removing the Wifi card and running a GPU @ x2 or x4 should be possible though. Not likely to be the greatest experience, and far from 'clean' looking.... but if it's just a little project thing to mess about with, and the fact it's not an economical route to go doesn't bother you, it should be doable.

TRENDING THREADS