[SOLVED] Upgrade router OR up ISP speed OR additional APs

Jan 3, 2019
Hi just wondering if anyone here can help me out. In a floor area of barely 160 square meters with ample brick/cemented walls my generic router (modem/router from ISP, 2.5 GHz WiFi n), signal/speed doesn’t quite reach the rooms or anywhere after an 8 to 9 meter radius (especially thru a wooden bedroom door). Router is placed right in the middle of the house. What’s the best way to solve this apart from doing a mesh network? Thanks and happy new year!

Solution
If you want to replace your router, find out if your ISP has a list of approved modems. A stand-alone modem allows you to use any router. With a 10Mb service, you won't stress any current router. An AC1200/AC1900 router will be the price/performance sweet-spot. There are lots of Asus RT-AC68 routers on E-Bay that are about $60. That is a great router (I use two of them as access points).

If you can't get a stand-alone modem, you can disable the WIFI on the ISP device, use it as a wired only modem/router and connect a second device as a WIFI access point. The Asus units have a one-button toggle from router to AP.

kanewolf

Titan
Additional access points, assumes you have some kind of wired infrastructure you can use. Do you have ethernet cabling? Do you have a separate modem and router or do you have a combo unit? What type of external connectivity do you have (DSL, coax, fiber, etc) ? What internet speed do you pay for?

Jan 3, 2019
Thank you for helping. No actual infrastructure for wiring/cabling with ethernet but it wouldn’t be a problem as the house isn’t that big. I can easily run cables off the modem, but I’d prefer lesser wires. It’s a combo unit (generic, 2.5 GHz WiFi n) from ISP for a DSL connection. Plan is at 10Mbps (3rd world country). And yeah I’ll probably have a handful of wireless traffic. Apple TV, IP cameras, mobile devices, and a desktop. A hypothetical question is, if I bump up the speed say to 30 or 50 Mbps with my current set up (single WAP) will the coverage for speed or signal be any better? Thanks again

kanewolf

Titan
If you want to replace your router, find out if your ISP has a list of approved modems. A stand-alone modem allows you to use any router. With a 10Mb service, you won't stress any current router. An AC1200/AC1900 router will be the price/performance sweet-spot. There are lots of Asus RT-AC68 routers on E-Bay that are about $60. That is a great router (I use two of them as access points).

If you can't get a stand-alone modem, you can disable the WIFI on the ISP device, use it as a wired only modem/router and connect a second device as a WIFI access point. The Asus units have a one-button toggle from router to AP.

Solution
Jan 3, 2019
Yes most likely disbabling WLAN on the combo will be the way to go since I don’t think our ISP offers stand alone modems. So I guess getting a new descent router (WiFi ac 1200/1900) among the 3 options for my current concern is suggested. Thank you very much.