Question Upgrade RTX 2070S 8GB to RTX 4070S 16GB??

martinlest

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The gut response will be 'of course!', but this is not my 'area of expertise' these days, and I'd appreciate some input before I start spending the cash...

My relevant PC specs are:

Intel i9-11900KF @ 3.5GHz / CORSAIR 650W CS Series PSU / Corsair H100i AIO cooler / nVidia RTX 2070 Super 8GB / 64GB DDR4 RAM / TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS MB

My concerns are (1) whether I (or someone else, probably!) will be able to replace the RTX 2070 with the RTX 4070 on that M/B with no issues. (the PCIe 3.0/4.0 interface for instance?). And of course the 2070 has two fans, the 4070 three. I have a standard tower case, and I am assuming there should be enough room, but... Also (2), would I need to upgrade the PSU too? I monitor power usage and it's rarely above 400W total, but even so? How would I recognise that the PSU is struggling to cope?

I know that any definitive answer is not possible, given you can't see the PC! But at least it'd be good to know that there are no M/B compatibility issues. Thanks for any ideas you may have on this.

(The PC is used almost 100% for X-Plane flightsimming, with Quest 2 VR, BTW).

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would think a Z590 with a 11th gen would support PCIe 4.0 anyway. Z490 boards would be more suspect.

4070 Super (12GB) or 4070 TI Super (16GB)?

Agreed. CX650 would be marginal with a 4070 Super and should be replaced, not enough for a 4070 Ti Super and must be replaced.

Chassis will list maximum GPU length, and you can always measure the available room before purchasing a longer video card.

martinlest

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Yes, I know it's old (probably dates from around the time I joined this forum! :LOL: ), but it has given no problems at any stage with the current spec. I will have to replace it if I go with the new GPU though, I know. Been looking at:

Cooler Master MWE 850 Gold V2

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The one you picked out is actually decent. But is on the lower end of 850W Gold units. For the money, Superflower Leadex III, MSI MAG A850GL, be quiet! Pure Power 12, Seasonic units, Thermaltake Toughpower GX3 (The GF1 is to be avoided is my understanding)

The rest of CoolerMaster's line up isn't that well regarded. Seems to be the way they like it, one or two high end model and the rest sub-standard.