[SOLVED] Upgrade SSD on a very old system or replace the system?

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Hi all. I have a 9 year old system that is still chugging along. I run windows 10 homeThe only issues I have is it occasionally dies when I'm not using it, but unplugging the power cord and starting it back up has it running fine. I use it for gaming, mostly older games (runs Skyrim, Crysis, Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age without issues)

It was put together by AVA Direct with the following specs:

CORSAIR, Builder Series� CX600 V2 600W Power Supply, 80 PLUS� Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V, 2x 8/6-pin PCIe

ASUS, P8H77-M/CSM, LGA1155, Intel� H77, DDR3-2200 (O.C) 32GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /4, HDA, GbLAN, mATX, Retail

INTEL, Core� i5-3570 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 2500, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-d VT-x XD, Retail

CRUCIAL, 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Elite PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

SAPPHIRE, Radeon� HD 7870 GhZ OC 1050MHz, 2GB GDDR5 5000MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI + HDMI + 2x mini-DP, Retail

SAMSUNG, 250GB 840 Series SSD, TLC Samsung MDX, 530/240 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail

SEAGATE, 2TB Barracuda�, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, Retail

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM

LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD�RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, Retail

ROSEWILL, RCR-IM5001 Black/Silver 75-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive w/ 3 USB 2.0 and eSATA ports, 3.5" Bay, SATA, USB 2.0

I replaced the second hard drive when it was going bad using Macrium free version. The OS was acting wonky a few years back but managed to fix itself. The primary SSD drive is very full, mostly with a heavily modded Skyrim game.

I play older games but have run into crashes playing Path Of Exile and wanted to install it on the SSD to see if it would run more smoothly but I don't have the room.

Is upgrading to a larger SSD worth it on a system this old? If so, any reccommendations for drives?
I loathe reinstalling and downloading all the games and apps so would like to avoid a new install not to mention the expense and waste.

Thanks!

Mod Edit - One thread is sufficient

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Hi all. I have a 9 year old system that is still chugging along. I run windows 10 homeThe only issues I have is it occasionally dies when I'm not using it, but unplugging the power cord and starting it back up has it running fine. I use it for gaming, mostly older games (runs Skyrim, Crysis, Fallout New Vegas, Dragon Age without issues)

CORSAIR, Builder Series� CX600 V2 600W Power Supply, 80 PLUS� Bronze, 24-pin ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V, 2x 8/6-pin PCIe

ASUS, P8H77-M/CSM, LGA1155, Intel� H77, DDR3-2200 (O.C) 32GB /4, PCIe x16, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 5 /4, 6Gb/s /2, HDMI + DVI + VGA, USB 3.0 /4, HDA, GbLAN, mATX, Retail

INTEL, Core� i5-3570 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics...
...................I don't have the room..............Is upgrading to a larger SSD worth it on a system this old? If so, any reccommendations for drives?

I loathe reinstalling and downloading all the games and apps so would like to avoid a new install not to mention the expense and waste.

Worth it?

What's your other choice? Do nothing, when you are running out of space?

Either you need more space or you don't.

Presumably, any new SSD could be re-used on the new system you buy in the future.

splunge

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Thank you Lafong.
The other choices I guess are make touch choices and delete games or suck it up and buy a new system

edit: found the SSD buying guide. Still open to advise though

Last edited:
Thank you Lafong.
Any suggestions on a replacement? Any real difference between SSDs of the same capacity other than price?

Yes, there are differences. Some you will regret buying and some you won't.

You have only a slight chance of knowing which is which in advance.

If you are a slave to benchmarks, that might influence you, even though you couldn't tell the difference.

Warranties vary to some degree.....that has only a slight chance of coming into play during your ownership.

Return privileges with your particular vendor might matter if you are unlucky.

Most would tell you to stay with a major brand from a reliable vendor and hope for the best....other than that I wouldn't do a lot of agonizing.

But plenty of people will tell you that you are a fool unless you buy A, B, or C.......because of this anecdote or that review or this benchmark.

You decide whether you should research the possibilities for 20 minutes, 20 hours, or 20 days....after taking into consideration the added value of more time. Why not analyze for 20 weeks?

INTEL, Core� i5-3570 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.8GHz TB, HD Graphics 2500, LGA1155, 6MB L3 Cache, 22nm, 77W, EM64T EIST VT-d VT-x XD, Retail

CRUCIAL, 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Elite PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V SDRAM DIMM, Non-ECC

SAPPHIRE, Radeon� HD 7870 GhZ OC 1050MHz, 2GB GDDR5 5000MHz, PCIe x16 CrossFire, DVI + HDMI + 2x mini-DP, Retail

SAMSUNG, 250GB 840 Series SSD, TLC Samsung MDX, 530/240 MB/s, 2.5-Inch, 7mm, SATA 6 Gb/s, Retail

SEAGATE, 2TB Barracuda�, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache, Retail

RAID, No RAID, Independent HDD Drives

LITE-ON, iHDS118 Black 18x48x DVD-ROM Drive, SATA, OEM

LITE-ON, iHAS324 Black 24x DVD�RW Dual-Layer Burner, SATA, Retail

ROSEWILL, RCR-IM5001 Black/Silver 75-in-1 Card Reader/Writer Drive w/ 3 USB 2.0 and eSATA ports, 3.5" Bay, SATA, USB 2.0

I replaced the second hard drive when it was going bad using Macrium free version. The OS was acting wonky a few years back but managed to fix itself. The primary SSD drive is very full, mostly with a heavily modded Skyrim game.

I play older games but have run into crashes playing Path Of Exile and wanted to install it on the SSD to see if it would run more smoothly but I don't have the room.

Is upgrading to a larger SSD worth it on a system this old? If so, any reccommendations for drives?

Thanks!

Mod Edit - One thread is sufficient
Try a little house cleaning first.
Disk cleanup may help.....free.
Enable the optimize feature.....free.

Make sure the ssd is plugged into a sata 3 port....free.

Solution