[SOLVED] Upgrade to 30 series or wait for 40 series?

Bonstrigmo

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
Hello! I need some advice. I just got an email for my turn in the EVGA queue for a 3080ti. I'll be upgrading from a 2080ti. I currently play at 4K and try to hit 60fps in the games I play (need to adjust the settings lower to achieve it tho). Is it worth getting a 3080ti now with the 40 series that should be coming out later this year? I read the 3080ti is 1.5/2 times faster than a 2080ti and that a 4080ti should be even faster. What do you all think?

Solution
4090 is going to be biggest overkill and there really no need to upgrade to it because 3080ti can still handle games pefect also with 30 3090 coming out they will all gone in secs and was rare to find or buy because there was so many pre orders and now they gone expensive. So dont think 4090 going to be cheap!

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
6080TI Super Titan is going to warp time/space.

In all seriousness, twice as fast is probably a stretch. Watch some videos comparing both GPUs. See the difference in performance in several games, not just one or two. You'd probably realize spending that much money for a small difference is not worth it... although it seems money is not an issue in this case.

VTXcnME

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Waiting for next gen tech is a fools game. There's always gonna be an improvement, and the second you buy something there'll be something better on the tracks.

December 2019/January 2020: I waited to buy a 30 series GPU that was slated to release in the coming months instead of just buying a 20 series GPU when I could. Now I realize not every GPU release is going to be a pandemic driven/crypto boom disaster.... but I've become a very heavy proponent of buy what you can buy NOW. Especially if it does what you need it to do.

Reactions: Why_Me
4090 is going to be biggest overkill and there really no need to upgrade to it because 3080ti can still handle games pefect also with 30 3090 coming out they will all gone in secs and was rare to find or buy because there was so many pre orders and now they gone expensive. So dont think 4090 going to be cheap!

Last edited:
Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello! I need some advice. I just got an email for my turn in the EVGA queue for a 3080ti. I'll be upgrading from a 2080ti. I currently play at 4K and try to hit 60fps in the games I play (need to adjust the settings lower to achieve it tho). Is it worth getting a 3080ti now with the 40 series that should be coming out later this year? I read the 3080ti is 1.5/2 times faster than a 2080ti and that a 4080ti should be even faster. What do you all think?
If you have the money go ahead and buy it.
You can always sell it if you can get your hands on a 4080ti (more like next year not the end of this year)