[SOLVED] Upgrade to 3080, no performance increase, then a decrease

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
So I upgraded a 1650 to a 3080 and so no increase in warzone. So I poked around my system and notice my 3200mhz ram showed at 1600 through task manager. I went ahead and updated my bios on my asrock b450 and the ram showed up at 2133mhz, but I saw a terrible drop in performance in warzone.
I'm at a loss on what to do, does anyone have any suggestions?
mobo: asrock b450 pro4
Cpu: ryzen 7 1700x
Gpu : Rtx 3080
Ram: 16gb 3200mhz gskill
psu: corsair rm750

Last edited:
Solution
Your Mobo should be just fine, an x570 has more features, PCei gen 4, more usb ports, inproved VRM, chipset cooling,SAM can be enabled etc, etc but nothing that will really change your gaming FPS, your CPU and GPU will always be the main thing. Everything else is tweaking optimization, from what you just wrote and I said it before your CPU is just getting a bit long in the tooth for a top level gpu. Good luck and good gaming with the new CPU !!!

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
The bios is current, I just updated it. Says it has support for the newer processors.
My main concern is that I'm not getting the performance that I see others posting with the same processor and GPU that I currently have. Hopefully the CPU upgrade goes without issues.

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Side note, as we know the CPU is huge bottleneck at 1080p. But have you checked you are running the PCIe at x16 and 3.0 speeds? You can usually check through the bios or download GPU-Z and check that way. You probably have but just to make sure and if not, make the appropriate changes in your bios:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/aniuhx/psa_check_your_pcie_speeds_mine_was_running_at_1x/

BTW, you can get away with gaming at 4k with that CPU you have now and see relevant 4k performance similar to newer CPUs.

Thanks for the tip. That's something I'll look into

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Well, I checked and the PCIe and itseemed to be set right. But the system is still lacking somewhere. I had some games crash and had to change the ram settings in the bios back to auto.

I'm thinking there might be something up with the cpu. userbenchmark and novabench rated the cpu very low, like bottom 20th percentile of the same processor in other tests. The gpu is rated super low too. I understand the cpu would be the reason the gpu tested low, but I'm not sure what the deal is with the cpu. and the fact that it's rated super low against other computers that have the same hardware together as I do.
I wanted to think its the ram since it won't run with an xmp profile, but it passes any diagnostics i put it through when it's on the auto setting in bios.

So i'm at a loss.

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
well I found this *ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system. *

i disregarded it when I updated the mobo bios, as those names meant nothing to me. But low and behold, i saw those names being used in the supported cpu list. Now I need to see if I should go back to a different bios, or just wait it out for the 5800x to show up.

GregoryDude

Distinguished
May 16, 2015
Hi, me again - I am still puzzled on this one. I don't think the CPU would hold you that much back, even with the bios update. Your RAM is passing too so that is odd.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but I experienced a low score in one case with a GPU swap out and it turned out that the previous GPU fan profile caused my new GPU fan to run at 30%, even under load so it was thermal throttling and I got horrendous scores. Just to check, maybe install MSI Afterburner and crank the GPU fan to 100% and run your same benchmarks and see what you get. If it improves than you can tweak the fan settings.

If your temps under load are good, then disregard this of course.

Lastly, if you do find out what the problem was please post as this is a very interesting/baffling case to me. Thanks!

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Lastly, if you do find out what the problem was please post as this is a very interesting/baffling case to me. Thanks!

I did some poking around and found out that a2, b2 is the preferred slots for ram on my asrock board. So I switched those and set up the xmp profile, and that helped me get an "above average" benchmark score on everything but the gpu.

although I have the above average benchmark score, i'm not getting the kind of performance in warzone people are telling me I should. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I've never really tracked the info before, so I don't know what's normal, but I get big drops in FPS. in 1080 The average is right around 90-100, but i'll regularly see 70's and 120's+ and I seem to get some hangups in the menus/lobbies that I didn't notice before.

Just again my 2 cents worth, it is a CPU that is now a few generations old, on a mobo that is (probably) a few genertaions old paired with an to-day GPU. It could be the VRM's on the mobo can't handle the load but there seems to be (I personally hate the term) bottleneck happening,. The make and model of your Mobo would be helpful, but to compare your experience directly fps for fps with other users is always a difficult thing as they will not have an identical system to yours. Comparing apples and oranges is the best way to depression......

dempseyjosh

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Just again my 2 cents worth, it is a CPU that is now a few generations old, on a mobo that is (probably) a few genertaions old paired with an to-day GPU. It could be the VRM's on the mobo can't handle the load but there seems to be (I personally hate the term) bottleneck happening,. The make and model of your Mobo would be helpful, but to compare your experience directly fps for fps with other users is always a difficult thing as they will not have an identical system to yours. Comparing apples and oranges is the best way to depression......

mobo is an asrock b450 pro4

I can't complain too much as i'm now getting better results than when i just switched. I'm now at 1080 highish settings getting ~110fps average. I was at 720 with lower settings getting ~60. I'm just unaware if this is subpar, and want to just make sure i'm getting all the performance I can with what i've got. With the new cpu on the way, maybe i'll have to consider a new mobo if I don't see any increase?

Last edited:
Your Mobo should be just fine, an x570 has more features, PCei gen 4, more usb ports, inproved VRM, chipset cooling,SAM can be enabled etc, etc but nothing that will really change your gaming FPS, your CPU and GPU will always be the main thing. Everything else is tweaking optimization, from what you just wrote and I said it before your CPU is just getting a bit long in the tooth for a top level gpu. Good luck and good gaming with the new CPU !!!

Reactions: dempseyjosh
Solution