• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

    Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

    Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question Upgrade to 5700XT or wait for RDNA2?

Dec 1, 2019
6
0
10
0
So, this is my current PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Abragus/saved/8nJj23 , and while it’s still performing pretty good, I’m starting to look at upgrading the graphics card. I haven't really kept up with the GPU situation after the purchase of my current GPU, but after looking at prices and a few benchmarks, the RX 5700XT seems like a good choice. I'm aware that there may be a bottleneck caused by the CPU, but I still feel like this would be the best way to increase gaming performance. Here in Sweden, the Asus Strix variant is currently on sale for about 400$, while the regular price is about 560$, and the price of other "good" 5700XTs is around 500$.

I've also seen that there were some problems with the 5700XT Strix, where the screws would be so loose that cooling performance was worsened greatly, but that seems to have been completely fixed since January? Soo... now the Strix should be a pretty good card, right? Especially considering the current price. (Mostly based on https://youtu.be/H7lnBCFnBok , and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFrDKM82BI ) (Sending the card back also won't be a problem, and in the of-chance that this one actually has the old screws, I'd be able to notice by just trying to move the heatsink, right?)

But then there's the fact that RDNA2 is coming. I’m still not really sure when, but I think it’s sometime this year? But then I heard somewhere that the launch was delayed? And will the GPU in the same price range as this one come out immediately, or will they start with the most expensive one, and the card around 400$ will be out even later? I could definitely wait, upgrading is not that urgent. It was just that this does seem like a pretty good deal, and I’m not even sure I’ll be able to get that performance for that price even after the RDNA2 launch. Or will RDNA2 be able to deliver even better performance at this price?

Thanks!
 
Dec 1, 2019
6
0
10
0
wait for RDNA 2.
if you aren't hard pressed for a dedicated gaming card upgrade right now, and can wait until the holiday season this year, then wait.
So I'll be able to, without question, get an even better deal, with more performance for the same price/same performance at a lower price after RDNA2 (or will the new cards be out this holiday?)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS