[SOLVED] Upgrade to SSD-is it worth it?

geraldo85

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hello, I have an ancient PC, and buying a new one is not an option at this point. I've seen those Adata SU650 SSD's and I am thinking about buying one. My motherboard G31M-ES2C supports only SATA 2 and the other components are very old too Intel E5200, 4GB of RAM, gt 9400, windows 7. Do you think that I will have a noticeable difference if I switch to SSD?

One more stupid question. How does one migrate all the files from the old HDD to a new SSD? If I want to make a fresh windows 7 install on the SSD, but leave the HHD inside the PC - how will the HDD be shown? Like a normal partition? Is there any danger to my files? Or since my Windows is on the HDD now it will be somehow corrupted? I have important documents, pictures, which I don't want to lose. For example - if the HDD will appear like Lokal disk (E): will I be able to open it and navigate to Documents. Desktop and so on? The HDD is now in 2 parts C: and D:.

P.S. The HDD mirroring option (if this is the name of it) is not what I want - I will prefer fresh windows install on the new SSD.

Solution
Hello, I have an ancient PC, and buying a new one is not an option at this point. I've seen those Adata SU650 SSD's and I am thinking about buying one. My motherboard G31M-ES2C supports only SATA 2 and the other components are very old too Intel E5200, 4GB of RAM, gt 9400, windows 7. Do you think that I will have a noticeable difference if I switch to SSD?

One more stupid question. How does one migrate all the files from the old HDD to a new SSD? If I want to make a fresh windows 7 install on the SSD, but leave the HHD inside the PC - how will the HDD be shown? Like a normal partition? Is there any danger to my files? Or since my Windows is on the HDD now it will be somehow corrupted? I have important documents, pictures, which I...

One more stupid question. How does one migrate all the files from the old HDD to a new SSD? If I want to make a fresh windows 7 install on the SSD, but leave the HHD inside the PC - how will the HDD be shown? Like a normal partition? Is there any danger to my files? Or since my Windows is on the HDD now it will be somehow corrupted? I have important documents, pictures, which I don't want to lose. For example - if the HDD will appear like Lokal disk (E): will I be able to open it and navigate to Documents. Desktop and so on? The HDD is now in 2 parts C: and D:.

P.S. The HDD mirroring option (if this is the name of it) is not what I want - I will prefer fresh windows install on the new SSD.
Although SSD on SATA2 will have some speed reduced, it's so much faster that it is definitely worth it now with SSD prices being pretty low. That's specially true of older systems. it seems to wake them up. It may not make programs and games run any faster but response time and starting Windows and programs may increase several times.
SATA SSDs use same connectors as the rest of SATA drives so installation is just as easy.
You are right about insisting on new W7 installation because of several reasons.
Best way is to disconnect old HDD and install SSD in it's place. In BIOS set SATA to AHCI, it's pretty important for proper SSD operation.
Now you can proceed with W7 installation, I hope that it' includes SP1 at least and all updates so W7 would be aware of SSD and be set up accordingly.
When windows are fully installed with all drivers etc. you can connect old HDD, just make sure that SSD is set as default boot device in BIOS.
HDD will be recognized with all files intact but with different letters because working windows are always C:
Now you can do whatever you want with old HDD including deleting all partitions and formatting it which would give it full space.

Solution
Nov 17, 2021

You should definitely switch SSD HDD is old school now

If you want to migrate everything just clone.
OTOH....if you want a fresh install and then migrate some files do what others have said.

Do have a full backup of the hdd before starting any of this.