upgrade XBOX 360 hard drive? original version

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
hi all

I have an xbox 360 (the original one) which I just dusted off since I haven't used it in years. it has a 60G hard drive on it, but since I'd like to install my games to the hard drive there likely isn't enough space for more than 10 of them (at best)

I'm too thrifty to buy an official replacement 250G hard drive and I'd rather put in my own 500G which I already own (a WD Black 2.5")

is this possible? easy? do I just clone the 60G onto the 500G using EaseUS and call it a day? or is there some special code that's buried in the original drive that the console needs to see?

I'm 99.9% playing OFFLINE. I currently don't even have the network cable plugged in - it's just for my own evening playing, stress-relief and whatnot.

guidance? suggestions?

nozzy7

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

This is over my head but for guidance here is a link that sounds like what you are looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGXwMd248Q&safe=active and for suggestions game on pc :p .

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
thanks for that link and info. I read up on that and yup it looks like at least I have a compatible 2.5" wd black! looks easy. I can use the 500 or maybe even the 750 if I can find the right code for that one.

but - after I do the firmware hack, can I simply use EaseUS (or clonezilla or similar) to clone the entire "old" drive onto the new one? or do I have to use that Xplore360 method to shuffle files around?

mistur_niceguy

Reputable
Apr 9, 2015
Today Xbox announced that support for external hard drives is in Preview (up to 2TB drives). If you can hold out a little longer, this would be a very simple solution.

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/09/xbox-360-system-update-for-preview-program-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives/

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
OH SWEET MOTHER OF MURPHY'S OIL SOAP! that's even better than trying to hack a 500G drive. I could easily buy one or two 2TB portables and use those. I can wait.... heck, I haven't used the box for over a year, so a few months for general release is cool with me.

thanks!!