Question Upgrade

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi,

So, I just need people's opinions on whether or not I am going to see a HUGE improvement by upgrading from a core i5 6600k OC'd to 4.5ghz with 16gb DDR4 3000mhz RAM and a GTX1080 to that of the same RAM and GPU but, coupled with an i7 9700k OC'd to 5ghz? I realise that I am asking a question with what appears to be a VERY obvious answer but, I know my i5 holds back my card as it too is OC'd I am seeing my CPU at pretty much 100% in most if not all AAA titles at 1920 x 1080 @ 144hz. Would an upgrade of this ilk cause a bottleneck in the opposite direction? As I am not interested in a new GPU too as graphically all my games look fine tbh!! And I am open to suggestions in regards to AMD and their new range of Ryzen CPU's too!!

I very much appreciate anyone taking the time to give me any advice that they have, be it in their opinion or because they have also upgraded from a similar spec machine!?

I am not looking to have an all singing/dancing rig, it would be nice but obviously this stuff ain't cheap. I just want to inject a decent boost in to my system without breaking the bank and as it's all seemingly about balance and not just a kick ass GPU and a reasonable CPU like when I had a Radeon 9800 Pro back in the day, just want to avoid paying frankly stupid amounts on hardware that is not at the resolution I am happy with, going to be a complete waste of money and overkill!!

Many thanks in advance!!

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
I am running i7-9700k OC 'd to 4.8Ghz all cores with RTX 2080 Super OC. I think you will see a difference since some games requires a bit more CPU power. So it might be worth an upgrade overall. It's that season where u can get things for cheaper. Also, depends on your cooler too, that i7-9700k will dumb a lot of heat. But you should do it imo. What mobo are u using though?

At 1080p, your I5 6600k will definitely hold back a GTX1080. You will see enough performance from a CPU upgrade to make it well worth while.

A 9700k would provide a much better experience, but a Ryzen 7 3700x would probably provide a simmilar experience for less money. You will have to upgrade your motherboard for Ryzen CPUs or an 9700.

Reactions: edifice

edifice

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I am running i7-9700k OC 'd to 4.8Ghz all cores with RTX 2080 Super OC. I think you will see a difference since some games requires a bit more CPU power. So it might be worth an upgrade overall. It's that season where u can get things for cheaper. Also, depends on your cooler too, that i7-9700k will dumb a lot of heat. But you should do it imo. What mobo are u using though?
Hey,

I believe it is a standard 1155 socket, I will need a new mobo too, and I was going to get a bundle for ease of use, one that comes with a Dark Rock Pro already installed so no issues with the heat!!

Thank You!!