Question Upgraded a brick mobo/cpu on a 2 yr oldprebuilt "gaming machine", works fine, but.....

Apr 17, 2019
I installed an msi z390a pro where a bricked msi z270 sli plus used to live. I topped it off with a shiny new i9 9900k with the old 2400 mhz 4sticks of 8gb Hynix RAM, the psu and the 1070 nvidia card out of the old one. (Even took the stock air cooler since that is another thing that hadnt changed from the the old mobo to the new one)

My question is this. I have looked high and low for a way to get this new i9 processor to run at the stock speeds of 3.6ghz or 4.8ghz when its "boosted"(?). No matter what i set the "OC Genie" to ("enabled" or "disabled") the Bios will show the change but i can see (and hear the cpu fan) windows 10 overiding the bios when i close the bios to boot windows... I cant even slow this thing down to 3.6ghz if i happened to want to use a smaller cpu cooler nor can I get the advertised boosted speed of 4.8 (unless I did a manual Over or Under Clock, which I'm not going to attempt on my wifes editing pc, as a noob, this is not a good idea...maybe if i get a working mobo for the 7700k I'll try it but not with this new cpu.) Which is where that cpu comes into this question... The new i9 is running all 8 cores at 4.5 which oddly enough is the exact same frequency the old 7700k used to report all 4 of its cores in task manager and cpuz. Researched and got the impression that not many people had yet bought a not very overclockable mobo for the very overclockable 9900k to live in and happened to notice what i was noticing, (cpu speeds that dont listen to what I attempted to set with msi's "EZ MODE settings. Other than when I ran across a thread stating that I probably hadnt activated the windows 10 license from the old mobo and that would solve the quandry... No such luck.... Could it be the i9 in this mobo with 2400mhz dual channel is automatically boosting itself up to (but not over)another sort of bottleneck like maybe the 'slow' RAM?

I dont know enough about this stuff to know whether I'm damaging the cpu by letting the mobo/windows think its still dealing with the old i7 or if I did something to the socket while installing that 1/4 carat silicon diamond of ours... Please help... One more thing... Yes i tried the power management options in the control panel... Yes it has settings to 100%... Although this must have changed because older threads say I should see two different settings for each battery/plugged in option... one for percent and one setting for ghz... But there is only one option for each and its "%".

This is bugging me as you can see and I'd like some reassurance that I'm not doing anything harmful by leaving it the way it booted the first time at 4.5ghz on all cores/all the time... It doesnt seem to go much higher than 75c even under the hardest my wifes editing suites have ever pushed it so far.. (4 days) I suppose that means it really can go faster... I just wouldnt know how to make it faster or slow it down (manually) (heck, I cant even get the auto boost & the auto OC settings to do what I expect... It seems like I've got an emissions choked Ferrari that doesnt have an idle speed... Cant slow down and cant get to max speed... Feels like Im stuck somewhere between having the gas pedal stuck to the floor and dragging a huge boat anchor even though I dont even use the thing that often... Smh.. Please help me with this puzzle.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Well, no, I guess not, I think... I kinda thought doing the windows activation from the old mobo to the new one was going to do a clean install for me... Guess not? Well.... Either way i cant really do anything now because if i made a clean install usb from the microsoft site and something went wrong (again, while I'm trying to help her) two days before a big photo shoot she'd kill me... So i guess ill leave it for now and try a clean install procedure if i can find it on microsofts site next week. Like i said it boots to windows just fine, if that changed at all in the next two days my wife would lose her marbles...

Apr 17, 2019
So what do you suggest? . Like i said it works now (if it works dont fix it) Is it going to hurt the cpu leaving it like it is for a couple days of torture then once shes done, try to do the clean install next week? Or is that bad for the new cpu? should i make windows treat it like its supposed to be treated right now or will it be ok for a couple days? Like i said, I if i put this in a car analogy,,. I dont know much about timings, freqencies and such,,. But if i knew or had reason to believe the coil packs in my Lamborghini (I wish) were telling those dozen spark plugs to fire at incorrect timings Id want to do something about it, immediately... Which i do with this new desktop cpu.. But, I dont want her to rely on our laptop if somethimg went wrong during a clean windows install attempt on our desktop, for the hundreds of photos she will be dealing with this weekend..id rather her use the f1 car (our desktop) to run that race rather than the Fiat Abarth (our laptop). Hours can be saved sometimes because she is very picky and constanly makes changes which wrings her pc's little neck as a result of her trying to finish her work...