[SOLVED] Upgraded CPU, GPU and memory, but games keep crashing

Oct 27, 2021
Hi!
So I have simultaniously upgraded my cpu from a i5 8600k to an i9 9900kf, my gpu from a gtx 1060 to an rtx 3080 and my memory from 16 to 32 gigs of the same ram (tridentz rgb).
And since then I have been having problems. All games that I have played so far all crash after a while. The picture just stands still and the application closes.
Can anyone help me with that?

Solution
Aourus Xtreme
my psu is about 2 years old maybe a bit less
i did cleanly reinsall my drivers for the gpu but i havent reinstalled windows

There are two revision of the RTX 3080 Aorus Xtreme, (rev 1 and 2) both of them indicate you need at least 850 watts PSU (https://www.gigabyte.com/mx/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-10/sp#sp - https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-20/sp#sp)

• If your PSU is not up to the task, then that may be causing the crashes.
  • Not having a clean install of Windows could also be a reason for crashing.
  • Having two different kinds of RAM (brand and model) could also lead to crashs. Unles they are all the same brand and model sticks.
At this point I...
Oct 27, 2021
Yes i have checked temps, they are at a normal 60 to 70 celsius under load with both gpu and cpu,

Specs:
Intel i9 9900kf
nvidia geforce RTX 3080
32 gb Trident Z rgb ram @ 3200 MHz
PSU: Corsair TX 750M
MB: Z390 Aorus Pro
cooler: Enermax Aquafusion 240mm
1tb Barracuda Hard drive
500gb Samsung SSD

Yes i have checked temps, they are at a normal 60 to 70 celsius under load with both gpu and cpu,

Specs:
Intel i9 9900kf
nvidia geforce RTX 3080
32 gb Trident Z rgb ram @ 3200 MHz
PSU: Corsair TX 750M
MB: Z390 Aorus Pro
cooler: Enermax Aquafusion 240mm
1tb Barracuda Hard drive
500gb Samsung SSD

Which RTX 3080?, please brand and model, unless is the FE?

How old is your Corsair TX 750M?

Did you made a clean install of Windows 10 + Drivers + Apps ?

Oct 27, 2021
Which RTX 3080?, please brand and model, unless is the FE?

How old is your TX 750M?

Did you made a clean install of Windows 10 + Drivers + Apps ?
Aourus Xtreme

Aourus Xtreme

There are two revision of the RTX 3080 Aorus Xtreme, (rev 1 and 2) both of them indicate you need at least 850 watts PSU (https://www.gigabyte.com/mx/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-10/sp#sp - https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-20/sp#sp)

• Having two different kinds of RAM (brand and model) could also lead to crashs. Unles they are all the same brand and model sticks.
At this point I would said the PSU is most likely the issue.

Note: Just so you know, for that kind of power hungry cards, you should have and use 3 independent pcie 6+2 power cables coming from the PSU.

Solution
Oct 27, 2021

At this point I would said the PSU is most likely the issue.

Note: Just so you know, for that kind of power hungry cards, you should have and use 3 independent pcie 6+2 power cables coming from the PSU.
The RAM is all the same just bought at different times, and i hve had windows on my ssd for ever and have never really touched it, so i could try reinstalling it u mean?
And yes it suggests 850 watt PSU, but when i go to online psu calculators, usually it says that even a 650 watt psu would be enough

1. should not need an OS reinstall, there was no motherboard change. just make sure the bios is up to date.
  2. even though they are the exact same kits of ram it is not a single kit so the two kits could be causing issues. You could try and remove 1 kit and see if you still run into issues.
  3. Nvidia RTX cards have big power spikes that can cause all sorts of issues for PSU. My 2080Ti set at 100% power will regularly spike 107-108% power which should not happen but it still does. If i overclock it to 124% power draw it will spike in the 130% range. so if your PSU cant handle the quick spikes you will have issues.

Reactions: Phaaze88
The RAM is all the same just bought at different times, and i hve had windows on my ssd for ever and have never really touched it, so i could try reinstalling it u mean?
And yes it suggests 850 watt PSU, but when i go to online psu calculators, usually it says that even a 650 watt psu would be enough

As for installing Windows from scratch, yes you should not need it, but when strange things start to happend is not a detail to overlook.

I would bet that the video card makers probably know a little bit more about their products than any online power calculator.

I would try using only 1 pair of sticks (the "old" or the "new"). If the system still crashes, then Im afraid the PSU could be the culprit.

Oct 27, 2021
ok so i have found out that when my game crashes, my gpu goes from like 70% usage to 100% for a very short amount of time and the screen goes either black or stands still, the pc doesnt crash only the game.
could it maybe be a gpu problem?
im pretty sure i have a REV 2.0

Last edited:
ok so i have found out that when my game crashes, my gpu goes from like 70% usage to 100% for a very short amount of time and the screen goes either black or stands still, the pc doesnt crash only the game.
could it maybe be a gpu problem?
im pretty sure i have a REV 2.0

You want your GPU to be high usage, so if it goes to 95% or even 100% that shouldn't be a GPU problem, also usage jump all around depending on many factors, it wont stay still. When I am playing my GPU is usually hovering between 75% to 99% depending on the game/scene/graphic settings.

As I wrote many times already this smell like a PSU problem, and your GPU maker webpage also indicates the same.

If you want you can try to contact Gigabye and ask them if your GPU can run in a system with a 750 watts unit.