Upgraded CPU/MB/RAM Now monitor only shows 'Power Save Mode'

Jul 22, 2018
Upgraded my CPU / Motherboard / Ram and now my monitor won't show anything except "Entering Power Save Mode"

Previous Specs *this works and what im currently using:
MSI-970 Gaming ATX AM3+ Motherboard
AMD FX-8350 Eight Core Processor
G.Skill - Ripjaws X Series 2x8gb DDR3-1600 memory
MSI Radeon RX580 Armor 4GB OC
Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

New Specs *This doesnt work:
MSI B350 AM4 Gaming Plus Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 2666MHz Ram
MSI Radeon RX580 Armor 4GB OC
Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

The monitor is fine because I hooked it up to a laptop and connected it with an HDMI and it worked, but when I do it with my computer it doesn't. Please help, I'm going insane trying to figure this out... I can't even get to BIOS or do anything if I cant use my monitor :/

Solution
More than likely you need to update BIOS. Check out AMDs website. They offer a boot kit for your situation. They'll send you a CPU that'll allow you to boot and update the BIOS. After you're done just return the CPU.

I've heard of the process above taking a bit of time to complete. If time is of concern, you can source out a cheap AMD A4 CPU and install and update.
Jul 22, 2018

No change when using ram, not sure starting with just one was supposed to do. I also dont hear a beep sound, but that may be because I used a headset, not speakers. I also don't have another PC to test the GPU with.

Jul 22, 2018

I...Don't know? I didn't see any sticker on the motherboard, where would it be if there was one?

Edit: I looked through the user guide and on the specifications page it says "Supports AMD RYZEN Series Processors" So I would assume that it wouldn't have any problem with the CPU.

More than likely you need to update BIOS. Check out AMDs website. They offer a boot kit for your situation. They'll send you a CPU that'll allow you to boot and update the BIOS. After you're done just return the CPU.

I've heard of the process above taking a bit of time to complete. If time is of concern, you can source out a cheap AMD A4 CPU and install and update.

Solution
Jul 22, 2018

I dont think i need to update bios, since i never had to do it for my first CPU.

Also, i’m not sure if this information is helpful or not, but i upgraded from AM3+ to AM4, so I wouldnt know if for some reason the jump would cause it to not want to work properly, I also ordered a motherboard speaker so I can hear the beep codes, and i’ll report back when i get it and assemble the new setup again. Edited post to reflect previous computer specs (That im using right now until i can figure out what is wrong with my new setup)

rgd1101

Don't

You mean the first cpu for the FX 8350? what is that got to do with this am4 motherboard not supporting 2600?

Jul 22, 2018

I dont know, ive been trying for a day and a half to figure out whats wrong and so far i have no clue. I thought that maybe for some reason jumping from am3 to am4 on the same system might of done something, i dunno.

Jul 22, 2018

Sorry for seming rash or like im not listening to your suggestions, I’ve never enountered this problem before and have already tried so many other things already.

Anyway, I did look a bit more into what you said, and i am now almost positive that what you said is what’s happening, so thank you. I looked around a bit more and found things that supported what you said and that i can get a temporary processor if I talk to AMD about it. So I’ve already sent a ticket to AMD support to try and send me a boot kit so that I’ll be able to get my 2600 working. It will probably take a bit for it to get here, but when its all done I’ll report back here if it all goes well, Thanks again.

So yes, I pretty much sent a working motherboard back for a replacement motherboard when I didnt need to in the first place, live and learn I suppose. :)