Dec 12, 2020
Computer specs
MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B550
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: NVIDIA 3070
RAM: Trident Neo 16 GB
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO
Cooler: Dark Rock 4

Ok, so here's the situation. I just upgraded my CPU from a 3700x to a 5600x. The 3700x ran perfectly fine, but when switching to the 5600x, I get the following symptoms:
  • No POST
  • EZ diag CPU LED on the MOBO is red
  • All lights and fans are on
I have tried the following:
  • Updating BIOS
  • Resetting CMOS
I can say with a high degree of confidence that everything else in the computer is fine because I can switch back to the 3700x and the computer starts up normally. This eliminates most of the potential troubleshooting suggestions that I've found (stick of RAM not plugged in etc).

I should also add that I very slightly bent the 5600x pins when taking off the cooler - I was checking to make sure the thermal paste was applied correctly the first time I put the cooler on and the CPU got stuck to the cooler - but the pins seem to slide into the holes just fine anyway. Could this still be the issue?

I should also mention that I bought this from ANTOnline, a less than reputable website (hard to find this CPU, what can I say). Is it possible/likely they sent me a bad chip?

Computer specs
MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B550
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: NVIDIA 3070
RAM: Trident Neo 16 GB
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO
Cooler: Dark Rock 4

Ok, so here's the situation. I just upgraded my CPU from a 3700x to a 5600x. The 3700x ran perfectly fine, but when switching to the 5600x, I get the following symptoms:
  • No POST
  • EZ diag CPU LED on the MOBO is red
  • All lights and fans are on
I have tried the following:
  • Updating BIOS
  • Resetting CMOS
I can say with a high degree of confidence that everything else in the computer is fine because I can switch back to the 3700x and the computer starts up normally. This eliminates most of the potential troubleshooting suggestions that I've found (stick of RAM not plugged in etc).

I should also add that I very slightly bent the 5600x pins when taking off the cooler - I was checking to make sure the thermal paste was applied correctly the first time I put the cooler on and the CPU got stuck to the cooler - but the pins seem to slide into the holes just fine anyway. Could this still be the issue?

I should also mention that I bought this from ANTOnline, a less than reputable website (hard to find this CPU, what can I say). Is it possible/likely they sent me a bad chip?
What about BIOS version. Did you update it to last one ?