Question Upgraded from i5-6500 to i5-6600K, Cooling recommendation ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
So I decided that I should upgrade from 6500 to 6600K for my 2nd PC to do some OCing...

My second PC already has a Hyper 212 EVO, but the stock fan is making a humming noise at low RPMs...It is annoying...

I google a bit and realized that I can get 6600K all the way to 4.5Ghz easily with the EVO...

What is your recommendation, Should I replace the fan ? if so, Which fan ? The stock fan has the following Specs:

Fan Speed 600-2000 RPM (PWM) ± 10%
Fan Airflow 24.9 - 82.9 CFM ± 10%,
Fan Air Pressure 0.3 - 2.7 mmH2O ± 10%
Fan Noise Level 9 - 36 dBA

I cant find a fan that matches the CFM above...

I also have some spare fans that seem to be quiet, but they are not pwm. I want to pair the main fan with one of these 3pins in a push-pull config ? I have heard this doesn't do anything ? Does installing the cooler vertically help at all ?

Or Should I buy a new cooler ? that would also enable me to push it past 4.5Ghz...I don't want to spend a lot of money....

Hyper Evo was an excellent value in its day...10 or more years ago.

Still at least adequate; depending on how much you want to over clock.

I wouldn't have high hopes with it if you don't like noise.

You might have to spend 50 plus to beat it?

I wouldn't get wound up on CFM ratings.

Two fans on a cooler rarely helps more than 2 or 3 degrees.

I don't know that fan....but.......

I wouldn't expect changing fans on a given cooler to make a major difference, as compared to changing the cooler. If you have mediocre airflow in your case, that alone may limit your overclocking.

But I don't know how much you want to overclock; nor your budget; nor how much noise is a factor.

my case has good airflow, the main reason I wanna swap the fan is noise, Otherwise I think it performs adequately ...

Noctuas are among the quietest. They are fairly expensive, but there are other choices that I haven't kept track of.

Any fan is going to become noisy at say 1500 rpm or higher. Any fan on a Hyper Evo may not allow much over clocking if it is spinning at medium or low speed.

Don't know how much you intend to overclock, but you may have to compromise on that if you are quite sensitive to noise.

So, maybe spend 15 to 25 if you want just new good quiet fan. May not allow much overclocking on the Hyper Evo.

Spend 50 plus if you want to change coolers, but the fan on that cooler could end up being just as noisy as what you have now....again depending on how fast you spin it.

I just figured out that I can make the noise go away if I mess with the PWM fan curve in the BIOS....

Yeah, that is doable on PWM fans on most boards.

None of my fans spin over 800.....I have a 6600K but don't overclock at all. All 3 fans are Noctuas.

Adjust your fan curves depending on where you want to compromise between temps and noise. Some people panic at 70 degree temps. If you don't, you may be able to knock the noise way down.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, that is doable on PWM fans on most boards.

None of my fans spin over 800.....I have a 6600K but don't overclock at all. All 3 fans are Noctuas.

Adjust your fan curves depending on where you want to compromise between temps and noise. Some people panic at 70 degree temps. If you don't, you may be able to knock the noise way down.

One more question, what do you think of DeepCool's Peerless Assassin 120 SE ? how would it compare to 212 EVO ? Can I get 4.7Ghz plus with it ?

One more question, what do you think of DeepCool's Peerless Assassin 120 SE ? how would it compare to 212 EVO ? Can I get 4.7Ghz plus with it ?

It's 155 mm tall.

You need to confirm if your case can accept a cooler that tall.

You have not mentioned what case you have.

I have no idea of what Ghz you might attain with it. You may be able to find tests of it on a 6600K. I'd certainly try to find comparison tests of it versus other coolers.

DSzymborski

Titan
Have you already bought the CPU? This plan doesn't seem all that practical to me. For $120, you can get a 6600K and a high quality cooler for overclocking. And for that, you'll get an incremental upgrade on a platform that will be eight years old this week, and this is also assuming you have a motherboard that's decent for overclocking.

On a platform this old, it's generally best to either upgrade to the best CPU available or not bother. If I were determined to upgrade this PC instead of saving up money, I'd rather spend a little more and get an i7-7700K and run it at stock or with a gentle overclock.

As for how far you'll be able to overclock, it depends on how well you do in the silicon lottery. You could get a 6600K that's a marvelous overclocker or one that is highly unstable hundreds of MHz below the first one. Counting your overclocking chickens before they hatch is a surefire way to end up being disappointed.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
It's 155 mm tall.

You need to confirm if your case can accept a cooler that tall.

You have not mentioned what case you have.

I have no idea of what Ghz you might attain with it. You may be able to find tests of it on a 6600K. I'd certainly try to find comparison tests of it versus other coolers.

The cooler perfectly fits my case, I am just wondering what will be the difference between it and the 212 EVO when overclocking, With EVO I am pretty sure I can get at least 4.5Ghz, Can the Thermalright push it beyond 4.5Ghz ? like 4.9Ghz or even 5Ghz ?

DSzymborski

Titan
The cooler perfectly fits my case, I am just wondering what will be the difference between it and the 212 EVO when overclocking, With EVO I am pretty sure I can get at least 4.5Ghz, Can the Thermalright push it beyond 4.5Ghz ? like 4.9Ghz or even 5Ghz ?

You will not know any of this until you actually try it and test properly. You may get base clock to 4.6 GHz on the EVO or you may struggle to get a stable base clock at 4.2 GHz on a higher-end cooler. Don't spend lottery winnings before you buy the ticket.