[SOLVED] Upgraded from Ryzen 1600X to 3700X, POST and idle temps issues (C6H)

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,
I just upgraded from my old Ryzen 1600X CPU to a new 3700X. I'm using a Crosshair VI Hero as a motherboard.
I thought this was going to be plug and play since the 3700X is listed under supported CPUs And I have the latest bios. Sadly it went the other way, at random times it just won't post and I have to reset it, or just flip the power switch for a few seconds or it just won't POST at all, usually staying stuck at qcode "8" (System Agent initialization after microde loading) or qcode "3" (System Agent initialization before microde loading) and the CPU fan stops spinning. It happens at random moments when either resetting the system or powering up.
Tried to flash the bios again using the USB port in the back but didn't help much.
Also the temperatures are way too high (50-60°C while typing this with 2 chrome tabs and no demanding background apps running)
I could run my 1600X at 3.95GHz OC at 35-40°C idle and everything was quiet, even though it had a 30W higher TDP!

Edit:
Forgot to mention my fans usually stop spinning for a few seconds and then start spinning again when restarting. This also doesn't always happen for some reason.

Any help to this is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
Asus Q code 8 means you don't have enough power going to your CPU. With the motherboard you have and the power delivery system it sounds like a PSU issue. What is your power supply unit? While the 3700X is more efficient power delivery is still slightly different. I would suggest starting with unplugging the CPU power cord and if you have a spare (modular power supply) replace the power cord (sometimes the cords become brittle and knocking it while installing a new processor can loosen a connection). I would suggest having 750W quality PSU (tier 1, 80+ gold) for the the 8 core 16 thread 3700X. If there is a power delivery issue (ie PSU isn't powerful enough or is delivering inconsistent voltages) it will definitely result in q...
Hi Ian :)

You need to flash your Bios before mounting the new CPU. This is done using the flashback facility on the rear IO panel.

You say this didn't help much but was the flash successful?

When the Flashback button is pressed it takes a couple of minutes to finish and if it stops and remains lit then the flash is unsuccessful.

Flashback works without the need for a CPU present and only needs power to the MB.
It must be done correctly otherwise Post will throw the QCODE you refer to and you will not get to Bios.

Most common flash failures are a bad USB thats not formatted to FAT32 single partition. The Bios file has not been renamed correctly with a .CAP extension or the wrong USB port is used. Refer to page 2-13 in your MB Manual.

Last edited:

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Ian :)

You need to flash your Bios before mounting the new CPU. This is done using the flashback facility on the rear IO panel.

You say this didn't help much but was the flash successful?

When the Flashback button is pressed it takes a couple of minutes to finish and if it stops and remains lit then the flash is unsuccessful.

Flashback works without the need for a CPU present and only needs power to the MB.
It must be done correctly otherwise Post will throw the QCODE you refer to and you will not get to Bios.

Most common flash failures are a bad USB thats not formatted to FAT32 single partition. The Bios file has not been renamed correctly with a .CAP extension or the wrong USB port is used.
Hi! Thanks for the reply!
I updated the bios before upgrading, of course.
I used the flashback tool because it was acting up, not posting etc. But didn't help much. I read the manual before using it, since I rarely use it. So I surely did it correctly. I will try again tomorrow after the night. Maybe, and hopefully, something just got corrupted and it doesn't like the the new CPU

Hi! Thanks for the reply!
I updated the bios before upgrading, of course.
I used the flashback tool because it was acting up, not posting etc. But didn't help much. I read the manual before using it, since I rarely use it. So I surely did it correctly. I will try again tomorrow after the night. Maybe, and hopefully, something just got corrupted and it doesn't like the the new CPU
Also be sure to do a CMOS reset.

And while it shouldn't interfere with POST-ing, sometimes a clean install of windows is necessary. You might get by with uninstalling and re-installing latest chipset drivers for the new CPU but sometimes Windows just won't work right with hardware changes.

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Also be sure to do a CMOS reset.

And while it shouldn't interfere with POST-ing, sometimes a clean install of windows is necessary. You might get by with uninstalling and re-installing latest chipset drivers for the new CPU but sometimes Windows just won't work right with hardware changes.

Thanks for the reply! And I already did most of these multiple times. And I doubt it's windows related since it happens even when I reset after saving my bios settings. Sometimes it just gives qcode 8 instantly

Asus Q code 8 means you don't have enough power going to your CPU. With the motherboard you have and the power delivery system it sounds like a PSU issue. What is your power supply unit? While the 3700X is more efficient power delivery is still slightly different. I would suggest starting with unplugging the CPU power cord and if you have a spare (modular power supply) replace the power cord (sometimes the cords become brittle and knocking it while installing a new processor can loosen a connection). I would suggest having 750W quality PSU (tier 1, 80+ gold) for the the 8 core 16 thread 3700X. If there is a power delivery issue (ie PSU isn't powerful enough or is delivering inconsistent voltages) it will definitely result in q code 8 and could cause some very strange clock speeds and thermal issues.

Solution

ianhuysman

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Asus Q code 8 means you don't have enough power going to your CPU. With the motherboard you have and the power delivery system it sounds like a PSU issue. What is your power supply unit? While the 3700X is more efficient power delivery is still slightly different. I would suggest starting with unplugging the CPU power cord and if you have a spare (modular power supply) replace the power cord (sometimes the cords become brittle and knocking it while installing a new processor can loosen a connection). I would suggest having 750W quality PSU (tier 1, 80+ gold) for the the 8 core 16 thread 3700X. If there is a power delivery issue (ie PSU isn't powerful enough or is delivering inconsistent voltages) it will definitely result in q code 8 and could cause some very strange clock speeds and thermal issues.
Thanks for the tip! Right now the problem kinda faded away, but if it happens again I'll try that. Even though it would surprise me my PSU failed. I got a 750W Seasonic Prime gold which is pretty high quality