[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU - Games now microstuttering on the same settings

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hey all,

So I recently swapped at my 3080Ti for a 4090. This doesn't happen with all games, but it's happened with enough now that it's become distracting. With quite a few of the games I've been able to drop the resolution to 1440p and increase FPS to 120 and this usually fixes the issue. For same games it doesn't though, namely The Outer Worlds, Forza 7 and Final Fantasy XV. As a disclaimer I use the Microsoft store versions so I can't edit the exe (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've tried DDU to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, reinstalled windows, updated BIOS.

Most of the time during these instances my CPU is at 1-2% utilization and my GPU is around 40-50%.

Any help would be appreciated. Here's my system:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Xtreem ARGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified

Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
You say you also reinstalled windows, I suppose you did it properly, if so get rid of the bloatware as well or rather not install any such again after a fresh install and just play.

You might just need to find the correct in game settings and driver settings for your setup now.

If that does'nt work there might be a hardware issue.

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
You say you also reinstalled windows, I suppose you did it properly, if so get rid of the bloatware as well or rather not install any such again after a fresh install and just play.

You might just need to find the correct in game settings and driver settings for your setup now.

If that does'nt work there might be a hardware issue.

There isn’t too much bloat since I installed Windows from an ISO from Microsoft’s website, but I’ve uninstalled the programs I didn’t need

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Can you be more specific about your micro stuttering problems? What exactly is happening?

It’s almost always whole rotating the camera. Panning the camera or just running forward without moving the camera usually is pretty smooth. And it’s not one off hitches. In the games that this happens, it’s constant micro stutter even though FPS reads at a locked 60 or 120

It looks like inconsistent frametimes, but only when rotating the camera, fast or slow.

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Is windows running in high performance power profile?

Just by looking at your hardware specs, you shouldn't experience any micro stutters. Something is limiting the the hardware since you not getting full performance during the stutters. Try running GPU-Z while running those games. On the second tab it records all kind of stats....one of them is what limits the video card. Would be interesting to say what it has to say about the situations where your GPU is only sitting at 40-50%.

Also, you have two SSD (a SATA and a NVME). Which one has the game installs?

Just to confirm, you only experience stutters in 4k?

Last edited:

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Is windows running in high performance power profile?

Just by looking at your hardware specs, you shouldn't experience any micro stutters. Something is limiting the the hardware since you not getting full performance during the stutters. Try running GPU-Z while running those games. On the second tab it records all kind of stats....one of them is what limits the video card. Would be interesting to say what it has to say about the situations where your GPU is only sitting at 40-50%.

Also, you have two SSD (a SATA and a NVME). Which one has the game installs?

Just to confirm, you only experience stutters in 4k?

Hey,

So I just wanted to clarify that when the GPU was at 40-50%, it was just because I had the game at 1440p instead of 4K. Some games can very easily make the card hit 100%, especially if it's at 4K/120fps.

I've tried the games on both the SSD and the NVME and expereinced the stuttering on both.

And the stuttering happens on any settings. Some games I've turned the resolution down to 1080p and on the lowest settings and it still stutters.

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
What monitor are you using?
Have you checked your monitor settings to see if any of them went wonky with the unexpected low-res input that it couldn't deal with?
Maybe G-sync got turned off?
It’s an LG C1 TV. None of the settings changed as far as I can tell and G-Sync is still on. I tried to toggle it a few times but no luck